Having a Moment: Mini-Bags

Lately I’ve noticed handbags getting smaller and smaller. As a girl who subscribes to the theory of big tote almost every day, I was surprised at how much I like this trend, even if it means I can’t haul half of my makeup drawer, all of the electronics in my house and an extra pair of shoes all day long. In fact, this bag has been one of my favorites since last fall and it looks like this trend isn’t going anywhere soon. And now without further ado, a comprehensive look at mini-bags, shall we?
(It should also be noted that my definition of a mini bag isn’t just tiny. It is a size range that holds a phone and maybe a stick of gum to a phone and a wallet and a few lip glosses.)
(source, l to r : 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

I realize that all of these bags are actually Chanel and this says ‘chanel-inspired’ but even if you can’t carry the real deal (*raises hand*), do not fret: there are plenty of Chanel inspired purses out there. I’m also into the ‘throw it in the front, tourist style’ look these days. Mainly because when we traveled around Europe I did this to fend off pick-pockets but really I was just being chic.
/ a few inspired options /

JavaScript is currently disabled in this browser. Reactivate it to view this content.
(source, l to r : 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 )
I love the option of just a small pop of color. In fact, I think that I prefer small when going for a colored purse. (Says the girl who has a huge hot pink bag…) Each of these add just the right amount of color to each outfit, which brings me to my next point: you can either choose to complement with similar colors in your outfit or throw in a completely different option (see red bag above.) The world of purse-abilites is yours.
You can also go a little bit quirky, because a small amount of quirky is cute like this lips bag. Now if that was the size of my Madewell tote? You’d be full on crazy.
/ mini pops of color /

(source, l to r : 1 / 2 / 3 / 4)
The basic black mini bag is what you will find leading this trend. I know this as a fact because I spent hours on Pinterest and tumblr looking at mini-bag after mini-bag. Black seems to be the way to go if you are a) new to this mini trend and b) in general. You can’t go wrong with a little black bag.
/ little black bags /

(source, l to r: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 )
We can’t forget the neutral option here either, which is what I’m most drawn to. (I think we covered this in the fall shopping post, no?) I gravitate towards colors that I can carry year round, since purses really are the ultimate season-less accessory. When in doubt, go neutral. (Or black. See above.)
/ neutral mini bags /

Your thoughts on the mini-bag? You into it or over it fast?

1. Mads | Its a Mads Mads World says:

Love a good mini-bag ! Sometimes you just dont need to carry much on you (especially in summer). I love these ones !

Madeline | Its a Mads Mads World

2. Jackie says:

I’ve been really drawn to mini bags lately, too. The issue is that my wallet alone is bigger than most of these bags, so I can’t use such a small bag for day-to-day life.

These outfits all look so darn cute though!

xo Jackie

Something About That

3. SFM says:

I love my big bags but in the summer when I frequent outdoor festivities, I like to carry a smaller bag because I don’t feel so bogged down! I have a fall and a summer small bag with little matching wallets so I still feel put together!

07.23.14 · Reply
  4. I love these! For the past two years I’ve carried a brown leather mini bag with a gold chain strap. It goes with everything and I never feel like I’m hauling around too many things!

5. Heather Boone says:

I like that I can always just toss a mini bag like these into my work tote so if I stop somewhere on my way home I don’t have to lug my big tote around, I do the same thing for travelling!

6. Kelly Jo says:

I’ve always carried a bigger bag but these mini’s are pretty dang cute. My outfits tend to be on the neutral side so I like the idea of doing a colorful bag. That blue one is gorgeous!

07.23.14 · Reply
  7. LOVE this post!! Great inspiring photos…making me want to shop! Love your picks too.

8. Sarah says:

What a fabulous and original post. Thanks for the share! I love a good neutral as well.

If you have a moment, I’d love to hear your thoughts on my latest outfit post:

07.23.14 · Reply
  9. I’ve actually always been a mini bag type of girl, I just find it easier and plus I don’t carry too much with me usually so it works out! great picks!

10. Erin Rothney says:

I like to throw my wallet and phone in a mini bag within my big tote in case at some point in the day I want to leave my tote at my desk and just grab the mini! Love this trend, but will never do away with my giant tote, either!

11. Elizabeth Hawn says:

I’m obsessed with mini bags! love these ones you featured

12. Nan P says:

I have been spotting tons of mini bags around lately also and have been loving the trend. I am usually all about a big tote bag that can hold everything, but lately I have been reaching for my small leather clutches to use when I am heading out for a quick errand or dinner and all I need are a few things. Maybe it is the hot summer weather or something that makes me not want to lug around a huge bag.
    xo Nan
    Simply Elegant Blog

13. Mia C. says:

I am into bags no matter if they are big or small. This is just another great excuse for me to buy another cute purse!!!

07.23.14 · Reply
  14. Mini bags are my go-to since I’m petite, also I’m too lazy to carry around a big bag — “my bag is heavvvvvvy” is almost as annoying as “my feet huuuurt” ha!
    Jamie @ SnapGinger Blog

15. Nikki says:

i love this trend! big bags are always a no-go for me!

xxoo,
    nikki

16. Miss J. says:

So chic and cool!

XO

Jeanne

17. Michelle says:

Mini bags are super cute! But sometimes they’re not so convenient ._. But nonetheless I love all bags~

18. rhiannon says:
  19. 07.23.14 · Reply
  20. Jenni Bee says:

I really adore the mini bags, they look super cute! However, most of them seem to be smaller than my wallet (which is uncomfortably huge hehe)… I would love to get myself a mini bag as well, but as a plus size, I feel like it might just look ridiculous and very miniature… Hrmm.

21. Monic says:

love the mini bags !
    M♥
    Simply Sutter

07.23.14 · Reply
  22. honestly, I just bought a small purse and I thought I would barely use it. I didn’t invest too much because of that very reason. But I quite like the emancipation from everything and now working about having my life with me. And who doesn’t love Chanel? Your inspiration is on point haha x

23. Mads | Its a Mads Mads World says:

Madeline | Its a Mads Mads World

24. Jackie says:

I've been really drawn to mini bags lately, too. The issue is that my wallet alone is bigger than most of these bags, so I can't use such a small bag for day-to-day life.

These outfits all look so darn cute though!

xo Jackie

Something About That

07.23.14 · Reply
  25. I love my big bags but in the summer when I frequent outdoor festivities, I like to carry a smaller bag because I don't feel so bogged down! I have a fall and a summer small bag with little matching wallets so I still feel put together!

26. Jordan Graves says:

I love these! For the past two years I've carried a brown leather mini bag with a gold chain strap. It goes with everything and I never feel like I'm hauling around too many things!

27. Heather Boone says:

I like that I can always just toss a mini bag like these into my work tote so if I stop somewhere on my way home I don't have to lug my big tote around, I do the same thing for travelling!

28. Kelly Jo says:

I've always carried a bigger bag but these mini's are pretty dang cute. My outfits tend to be on the neutral side so I like the idea of doing a colorful bag. That blue one is gorgeous!

07.23.14 · Reply
  29. LOVE this post!! Great inspiring photos…making me want to shop! Love your picks too.

30. Sarah says:

If you have a moment, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest outfit post:

31. lavieenliz says:

I definitely need a mini bag

32. footnotes and finds says:

I've actually always been a mini bag type of girl, I just find it easier and plus I don't carry too much with me usually so it works out! great picks!

33. Erin Rothney says:

34. Elizabeth Hawn says:

I'm obsessed with mini bags! love these ones you featured

35. Nan P says:

xo Nan
    Simply Elegant Blog

36. Jeannie Seamone says:

I love the smaller bag for summer. I have the Rebecca Minkoff MIni Mac in Almond and it has been my go to bag this summer! Like you, I usually prefer a bigger bag to put everything in, but I’ve been digging this smaller one.

37. Mia C. says:

07.23.14 · Reply
  38. Mini bags are my go-to since I'm petite, also I'm too lazy to carry around a big bag — "my bag is heavvvvvvy" is almost as annoying as "my feet huuuurt" ha!
    Jamie @ SnapGinger Blog

39. nikki says:

i love this trend! big bags are always a no-go for me!

xxoo,
    nikki

40. Miss J. says:

So chic and cool!

XO

Jeanne

41. Michelle says:

Mini bags are super cute! But sometimes they're not so convenient ._. But nonetheless I love all bags~

42. rhiannon says:
  43. LIGHT & VIBES says:

Love mini bags! A sweet, small addition to an outfit or to sling over your shoulder when on the go and you don’t want to lug around a huge bag. Perfect for weekend adventures!

44. 07.23.14 · Reply
  45. Tamara says:

These mini bags are so cute, but I’m not sure I can give up my big bag ;).

46. Jenni Bee says:

47. Monic says:

love the mini bags !
    M♥
    Simply Sutter

07.23.14 · Reply
  48. honestly, I just bought a small purse and I thought I would barely use it. I didn't invest too much because of that very reason. But I quite like the emancipation from everything and now working about having my life with me. And who doesn't love Chanel? Your inspiration is on point haha x

49. Jessica says:

I love them all! Chic and cute!

xx Jessica

notjessfashion.com

50. Suzy says:

I literally laughed out loud at “The world of purse-abilities is yours.” I noticed this trend too and have been looking for a good neutral because, like you said, you can’t go wrong. Thanks for sharing!

51. Haley Valerie says:

I think that they are cute, but I carry way too much stuff for one!

Haley
    haleyvalerie.com

52. Jeannie Seamone says:

I love the smaller bag for summer. I have the Rebecca Minkoff MIni Mac in Almond and it has been my go to bag this summer! Like you, I usually prefer a bigger bag to put everything in, but I've been digging this smaller one.

53. LIGHT & VIBES says:

Love mini bags! A sweet, small addition to an outfit or to sling over your shoulder when on the go and you don't want to lug around a huge bag. Perfect for weekend adventures!

54. Tamara Ward says:

These mini bags are so cute, but I'm not sure I can give up my big bag ;).

55. Jessica says:

I love them all! Chic and cute!

xx Jessica

notjessfashion.com

56. Ago Prime says:

nice outfits!!

57. Suzy says:

I literally laughed out loud at "The world of purse-abilities is yours." I noticed this trend too and have been looking for a good neutral because, like you said, you can't go wrong. Thanks for sharing!

58. Haley Valerie says:

I think that they are cute, but I carry way too much stuff for one!

Haley
    haleyvalerie.com

59. Cute bags.
    wwww.cutecluboutfits.com

60. Hope says:

So cute, and come in a wide range of colours, however just a little bit impratical! H xx

61. Soraia M. says:

I LOVE mini-bags. I used to have lots of large bags, but then my back and arms started hurting a bit more than they should and I decided to change that habit completely. Nowadays, I own just three mini-bags and got used to have just a few items on me: phone, card holder + mini-wallet, mini-hairbrush, lipstick, keys. What a wonderful life this is 🙂

62. Mallika says:

I carried big hold-all bags for the day for five years to work. By the fourth year I realized I didn’t actually use everything I carried and that I had developed a nagging back ache. And finally by the fifth year I decided to change and carry smaller bags that had space for shades, lip gloss, tampons, a book if you will, the purse and phone. I carried an additional bag usually cloth made that was light if I had to carry anything more. Admittedly it wasn’t as stylish but it made my life way easier. Smaller bags also help you stay organized and you don’t have to worry where your keys are. Now that I am in Berlin and don’t work anymore my totes are all stored in and I am very happy to carry my tiny bags around. I don’t miss the totes at all and apparently a lot of people are like minded here.

07.24.14 · Reply
  63. I think I need to definitely invest in more of these smaller bags. Recently added a white small cross body to my collection and am getting much more use out of it than I thought I ever would.

xo Jessica

64. Lisa says:

I really like to change up the bags that I carry in terms of size and colour. This summer I have been loving my tiny bright red Brit Stitch Satchel, because it prevents me from carrying half my belongings and is totally cute!

Come fall and winter I will definitely be expanding my mini bag collection, probably with a neutral or black colour.

x

A Tiger’s Life

65. Sasa Zoe says:

Love these mini bags:)

66. Amy says:

Love the pics! I carry a mini bag every summer. When the weather is hot and humid, it is no fun for me to haul around a big purse. I have two mini bags – camel leather and red leather. I can fit my phone, wallet, keys, and lip gloss.

67. Anna Lorena says:

Mini bags are always in trend x Great post x

xoxo Anna,

68. Ago Prime says:

nice outfits!!

69. Hope says:

70. Juliana says:

I actually have 2 leather mini bags in neutrals. I’ve had them for ages! Great to know I can wear them like I mean it! (as if I didn’t wear them anyways! yay) Beijos!

71. Soraia M. says:

72. Brittany Bach says:

Love them! Got a black one this Spring thinking I would use it every once in awhile but it has become my go-to most of the time. Really cute seeing all the ways people are wearing them. Great post!

73. Mallika says:

I carried big hold-all bags for the day for five years to work. By the fourth year I realized I didn't actually use everything I carried and that I had developed a nagging back ache. And finally by the fifth year I decided to change and carry smaller bags that had space for shades, lip gloss, tampons, a book if you will, the purse and phone. I carried an additional bag usually cloth made that was light if I had to carry anything more. Admittedly it wasn't as stylish but it made my life way easier. Smaller bags also help you stay organized and you don't have to worry where your keys are. Now that I am in Berlin and don't work anymore my totes are all stored in and I am very happy to carry my tiny bags around. I don't miss the totes at all and apparently a lot of people are like minded here.

07.24.14 · Reply
  74. I think I need to definitely invest in more of these smaller bags. Recently added a white small cross body to my collection and am getting much more use out of it than I thought I ever would.

xo Jessica

75. Lisa says:

x

A Tiger’s Life

76. Sasa Zoe says:

Love these mini bags:)

77. Amy says:

Love the pics! I carry a mini bag every summer. When the weather is hot and humid, it is no fun for me to haul around a big purse. I have two mini bags – camel leather and red leather. I can fit my phone, wallet, and lip gloss.

78. Anna Lorena says:

Mini bags are always in trend x Great post x

xoxo Anna,

79. Juliana says:

I actually have 2 leather mini bags in neutrals. I've had them for ages! Great to know I can wear them like I mean it! (as if I didn't wear them anyways! yay) Beijos!

80. Brittany Bach says:

81. Trude says:

I actually just recently picked up a neutral taupe-y one specifically to take with me to the Renegade craft fair this weekend (because I have a pretty new dress to where and of course the accessories must be juuuust right). 🙂 I used to be firmly in Camp Clutch, but for an all-day thing where I’m walking around without my camera (and taking the train, not my car), I wanted to keep it simple yet secure.

82. Trude says:

I actually just recently picked up a neutral taupe-y one specifically to take with me to the Renegade craft fair this weekend (because I have a pretty new dress to where and of course the accessories must be juuuust right). 🙂 I used to be firmly in Camp Clutch, but for an all-day thing where I'm walking around without my camera (and taking the train, not my car), I wanted to keep it simple yet secure.

83. Thanks for the feature, Kendi! I’m loving the tiny bag trend as well 🙂

07.25.14 · Reply
  84. Thanks for the feature, Kendi! I'm loving the tiny bag trend as well 🙂

07.25.14 · Reply
  85. Vanessa says:

I just bought the biggest bag in the world, so I hope this is a short moment. 😉

07.25.14 · Reply
  86. Vanessa says:

I just bought the biggest bag in the world, so I hope this is a short moment. 😉

07.25.14 · Reply
  87. Lisa says:

I LOVE mini bags! I wish they came with a giant black hole though because you have to cut out so much of what you (not really) totally need!
    anyways, great post. You picked inspiring pictures.

07.26.14 · Reply
  88. Lisa says:

anyways, great post. You picked inspiring pictures.

07.26.14 · Reply
  89. Yes! Love these! Found the perfect little jessica simpson mini bag at Marshalls – tan, yellow, and silver metallic! 🙂

07.29.14 · Reply
  90. Yes! Love these! Found the perfect little jessica simpson mini bag at Marshalls – tan, yellow, and silver metallic! 🙂

07.29.14 · Reply
  91. Renee says:

I have a big bag a take to work every day when I’m driving and sitting most of the time. Then I switch to a much smaller, not quite mini bag for the weekend when we’re mostly on foot. It’s much more comfortable. These are so cute.

08.08.14 · Reply
  92. Renee says:

I have a big bag a take to work every day when I'm driving and sitting most of the time. Then I switch to a much smaller, not quite mini bag for the weekend when we're mostly on foot. It's much more comfortable. These are so cute.

08.08.14 · Reply