TXSC 2013 | AKA Best Weekend Ever

This weekend might be one of my favorite three days of my life. It is in competition with my wedding and that time B and I went to Disney World as 26 year old adults. It was that good. B and I headed to Austin for the Texas Style Council, for what I believe is it’s 4th year. I’ve been there for three and this year was my favorite. The format and programming was perfect — low key classes and workshops, meet-ups, happy hours. It all just felt like meeting up with friends all weekend and talking. But I don’t think it was just the classes and workshops, but the people I met that were the most inspiring, all of them. I talked to B all the way home about all of my new ideas, about conversations I had with people and all of my new girl crushes. I met woman after woman who had their own things going — writing a book, opening a shop, running a growing handmade jewelry line, graphic designers, stylists, brand managers, I mean you name it and these girls were making shit happen on their own. I feel like I just got back from a summer camp, I’m that giddy about life right now. If you are an entrepreneur or blogger or just a cool kid, you need to go to the next TXSC. You just do. It’s so fun to meet people who couldn’t be more different than you but you have so much in common with. Plus we all make friendship bracelets, secret handshakes and become internet pen pals. Worth it.

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who shared their stories on stage or in conversation. It’s so nice to hear people who are making it happen and who are brave enough to forge ahead on their own. This might sound cheesy but it is so empowering to hear women make things happen on their own. To hear so many different ways of entrepreneurship — some big, some small but all growing and innovating our world even if we don’t know it yet. I am so proud to be a part of this group of women.

On Sunday, I spoke on what I think are a few secrets to a start up. The thing is they aren’t really secrets — they are pieces of wisdom that you will learn along the way. I think that’s the secret of entrepreneurship and probably life — experience is everything. Since it’s impossible to tell you everything I said in my rambling hour long talk, I think i’ll just sum it up with what I learned this weekend from everyone else: do what you are called to do no matter how big or small that calling may be and just know that it’s important. I truly believe that women are designed to be great business owners and entrepreneurs (as well as everything else we are and do) and this weekend confirmed that to me in every way.

So I guess it should be noted that didn’t take any outfit photos ever this weekend because I’m the worst style blogger in the world. But I do have photos on my insta so I mean it’s whatever. Next year I’ll take photos. Next year. Maybe.

Photos are from the Bonlook photo booth which I manned Saturday night. Which really meant that after every photo someone else took in the booth, I went in and got another photo of myself. Bonlook is probably regretting inviting me to host their booth looking back on their photos now, but I’m pretty happy with the turn out. B and I needed some new family photos and this worked out perfectly.

Oh and a huge thank you to Bonlook for helping me get there and letting me crash your booth. Your support this weekend was so kind.

So moral of the story: go next year and let’s all be best friends, yes? Well, glad that is settled.

1. carlibee says:

Looks so fun! And what a gift to leave so inspired. I’m inspired just reading this! Happy you had such a great time :)

08.06.13 · Reply
  2. Kendi! I couldn’t agree more with this post and everything you said at the conference… on stage, but also one on one when we met after the panel! Your authenticity and encouragement when you said “I think small is better”… has been resounding in my ear. It matters, keep going, no matter how big or small we are, we’re doing what we’re meant to do. :) -Molly, Specs & Wings

08.06.13 · Reply
  3. Love this! I hope Southern Blog Society’s next event is similar to this. A weekend of hanging out, learning and bonding.

xo Jessica
    My Style Vita

4. Amy says:

it was so great meeting you! and yes, it was a fabulous weekend :)

5. rhiannon says:
    08.06.13 · Reply
  6. it was great to chat with you again! i’m having post-TxSC depression so this post was quite therapeutic…

7. Mia Moore says:

So great to hear you speak this weekend. Maybe if you come next year I’ll get over my shyness and even say hello! :)

8. Roni Sivan says:

Your session was fantastic, mostly for how real you were about the journey and its hiccups and triumphs. Most days I definitely feel like a mad scientist in the start-up lab pouring a bunch of ideas together and hoping for the best… and ready to learn from each experiment. This weekend was totally summer camp for awesome women and I am going to ride this wave of positive energy until round 2 in March!

08.06.13 · Reply
  9. Your honesty at the session was so great! Glad you had a good time, too!

10. Diana Buchanan says:

This sounds like it was such an uplifting experience for you! One of my girlfriends went and I think she had a great time. From everything I’ve heard, it was awesome! So glad you enjoyed yourself!

11. April says:

It was great meeting you at the Bonlook booth and also listening to you speak. I learned a lot and feel a tiny bit more prepared to actually start my business plan. Also, I’m getting those clear-rimmed eyeglasses. You said NY art gallery director… that’s all I needed to hear. Thanks for convincing me :) And thanks for your knowledge!

12. Carlee says:

Looks like you had so much fun and I love that last photo! Seems like Austin was the place to be this past weekend.

Little Sloth

13. Jessica Sacheck says:

Kendi, it was such a pleasure meeting you this weekend. Your session was inspiring and pithy. You are a deadly combo of beautiful & funny. Dare I say, you are my new girl crush. -Jess

14. Mads | Its a Mads Mads World says:

Such fun pictures ! Looks like you had a blast ! xoxo

Madeline | Its a Mads Mads World

15. Elisa Taviti says:

Funny shots!

With love,
    Elisa – My Fantabulous World

08.06.13 · Reply
  16. Looks like so much fun, Kendi! I really wanted to go this year, but found out about it too late. Will definitely keep an eye out for the next go around!

17. Hope Howland says:

So amazing.. love these photos!! It’s so fun!
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

08.06.13 · Reply
  18. Ok, you’ve pretty much convinced me to go next year! Sounds so cool!
    ~Jessica

08.06.13 · Reply
  19. Gosh, I’d love to go! It always looks like everyone has such a great time! I’ve never been to a blogging conference, but one of these days I’m going to do it. You’re lucky you live so close to one/have companies that will help you get there. If that happened to me I’d die and go to blogging heaven!

20. Monica says:

Looks like a total blast with so many fun people.
    What frames are you wearing in Photo #3 &4( black frames). Love them from Bon Look about to get a pair. Thanks!!!
    I

21. Stesha says:

Kendi, It was so great to meet you this weekend! I had an amazing time with all the girls, you are such an inspiration! xxS

08.06.13 · Reply
  22. This looks like so much fun Kendi!

Chelsea & The City

08.06.13 · Reply
  23. That’s it. I’m going next year!

08.06.13 · Reply
  24. All these pictures are so fun! Love the last one of you and B!

08.06.13 · Reply
  25. Very inspirational post, I am going to come back to it when I’m feeling like I don’t have ‘it’ in me. Glad you had an awesome time Kendi! I’ve been following your insta pics from this trip, looked like it was such a blast!

26. alicebarton says:

love this post, it’s so much fun! xx

Alice Barton ♥ TheMowWay

27. carlibee says:

Looks so fun! And what a gift to leave so inspired. I'm inspired just reading this! Happy you had such a great time :)

08.06.13 · Reply
  28. Kendi! I couldn't agree more with this post and everything you said at the conference… on stage, but also one on one when we met after the panel! Your authenticity and encouragement when you said "I think small is better"… has been resounding in my ear. It matters, keep going, no matter how big or small we are, we're doing what we're meant to do. :) -Molly, Specs & Wings

08.06.13 · Reply
  29. Love this! I hope Southern Blog Society's next event is similar to this. A weekend of hanging out, learning and bonding.

xo Jessica
    My Style Vita

30. Amy says:

it was so great meeting you! and yes, it was a fabulous weekend :)

31. rhiannon says:
    08.06.13 · Reply
  32. it was great to chat with you again! i'm having post-TxSC depression so this post was quite therapeutic…

33. Mia Moore says:

So great to hear you speak this weekend. Maybe if you come next year I'll get over my shyness and even say hello! :)

34. Roni Sivan says:

35. Dose of Dash says:

Your honesty at the session was so great! Glad you had a good time, too!

36. Diana Buchanan says:

This sounds like it was such an uplifting experience for you! One of my girlfriends went and I think she had a great time. From everything I've heard, it was awesome! So glad you enjoyed yourself!

37. April says:

It was great meeting you at the Bonlook booth and also listening to you speak. I learned a lot and feel a tiny bit more prepared to actually start my business plan. Also, I'm getting those clear-rimmed eyeglasses. You said NY art gallery director… that's all I needed to hear. Thanks for convincing me :) And thanks for your knowledge!

38. imperfctconcept says:

Hi Kendie! It was a great weekend. I truly was nervous this year since I was a speaker but everyone was so lovely and sweet. You are a fab woman and love everything you had to say. Enjoyed sitting on the last panel together =) look forward to chatting some more

39. Carlee says:

Little Sloth

40. Aileen says:

Kendi, sounds like you had so much fun! I wanna go too (gotta move closer to Texas first)! Thanks for sharing, I adore me some girl power! There’s nothing as empowering as women bolstering and supporting other women.

41. Jessica Sacheck says:

42. Madeline Murray says:

Such fun pictures ! Looks like you had a blast ! xoxo

Madeline | Its a Mads Mads World

43. Tanvi says:

Ditto!!!

44. Elisa Taviti says:

Funny shots!

With love,
    Elisa – My Fantabulous World

45. Esther Oh says:

Kendi! It was great meeting you in person, taking pictures, and attending your workshop. You are inspirational! Grateful for the tips you’ve shared and your honesty about the business and your life.

08.06.13 · Reply
  46. Looks like so much fun, Kendi! I really wanted to go this year, but found out about it too late. Will definitely keep an eye out for the next go around!

47. ashleigh says:

Sounds awesome! I wish Ohio or Ky had something similar. Texas is just too far for me.
    -Ash

48. Hope Howland says:

So amazing.. love these photos!! It's so fun!
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

08.06.13 · Reply
  49. Ok, you've pretty much convinced me to go next year! Sounds so cool!
    ~Jessica

08.06.13 · Reply
  50. Gosh, I'd love to go! It always looks like everyone has such a great time! I've never been to a blogging conference, but one of these days I'm going to do it. You're lucky you live so close to one/have companies that will help you get there. If that happened to me I'd die and go to blogging heaven!

51. Monica says:

Looks like a total blast with so many fun people.
    I

52. Stesha says:

53. chelseaandthecity says:

This looks like so much fun Kendi!

Chelsea & The City

08.06.13 · Reply
  54. That's it. I'm going next year!

55. tlb12 says:

Sounds so amazing & inspiring.

Flounces & Hubbub

56. Classy Chic & Chardonnay says:

All these pictures are so fun! Love the last one of you and B!

57. Monique Muro says:

Very inspirational post, I am going to come back to it when I'm feeling like I don't have 'it' in me. Glad you had an awesome time Kendi! I've been following your insta pics from this trip, looked like it was such a blast!

58. Jess says:

Looks like you had a great time i love photo booths they are so much fun!

59. alicebarton says:

love this post, it's so much fun! xx

Alice Barton ♥ TheMowWay

60. Gabby Vannozzi says:

How fun!
    I’d love it if you could take a look at my website I was telling you about!

08.06.13 · Reply
  61. Its so fun to read the recaps of this event, but for some reason your emphasis on all these women making things happen is really especially inspiring!

62. Gwendolyn says:

Seems like the most amazing time! It was fun to see you all let loose! (and probably learn some stuff too :) ) I went to a conference this last weekend in Kansas City called Go Blog Social and my brain is still recovering…S.E.O. what?

08.06.13 · Reply
  63. I really enjoyed your presentation! I was the one that spoke up about WhizBang Training during your presentation. I find their free email newsletter & free tips on their website & Facebook to be really helpful for retailers: http://www.whizbangtraining.com/ They also have a really intense training course, as well as conferences specific to independent retailers. They’ve got some great info on open-to-buy planning too. Feel free to get in touch with me if you want more info on it – I have their full course. I’m a retail nerd too, if you want other book / blog / website resource information!!

64. imperfctconcept says:

65. Aileen says:

Kendi, sounds like you had so much fun! I wanna go too (gotta move closer to Texas first)! Thanks for sharing, I adore me some girl power! There's nothing as empowering as women bolstering and supporting other women.

66. Lauren Lefevre says:

Loved meeting you and learning from you this weekend, Kendie! You are so beautiful and such an inspiration! xo

67. sihijau says:

it looks fun! :)

Irene Wibowo

68. Esther Oh says:

Kendi! It was great meeting you in person, taking pictures, and attending your workshop. You are inspirational! Grateful for the tips you've shared and your honesty about the business and your life.

69. ashleigh says:

-Ash

70. Jennifer says:

I have been hearing such fun stories from this conference. I hope to attend next year!

71. tlb12 says:

Sounds so amazing & inspiring.

Flounces & Hubbub

08.07.13 · Reply
  72. I loved this post! So adorable! Super jealous of your experience. :) Hope you had an amazing time!

Kelly
    kellyinthecity.com

08.06.13 · Reply
  73. It looks like you guys had a blast – yay! It sounds like such an inspiring conference! (And, no joke, the second best day of my life was when I visited Harry Potter World.)

74. Jasmine says:

That’s a really inspiring post, Will def try and make it next time!!!!

-Jasmine

75. Jess says:

Looks like you had a great time i love photo booths they are so much fun!

76. Gabby Vannozzi says:

How fun!
    I'd love it if you could take a look at my website I was telling you about!

77. Kristian Satterlee says:

78. Gwendolyn says:

79. Mallory says:

I really enjoyed your presentation! I was the one that spoke up about WhizBang Training during your presentation. I find their free email newsletter & free tips on their website & Facebook to be really helpful for retailers: http://www.whizbangtraining.com/ They also have a really intense training course, as well as conferences specific to independent retailers. They've got some great info on open-to-buy planning too. Feel free to get in touch with me if you want more info on it – I have their full course. I'm a retail nerd too, if you want other book / blog / website resource information!!

80. Lauren Lefevre says:

81. sihijau says:

it looks fun! :)

Irene Wibowo

82. Mica says:

Sounds like such a great weekend! And the photos from the photo booth look so fun :)

Away From Blue

83. Jennifer says:

84. Kelly says:

Kelly
    kellyinthecity.com

85. Caroline L. says:

86. Jasmine says:

That's a really inspiring post, Will def try and make it next time!!!!

-Jasmine

87. Mica says:

Away From Blue

88. werrrrk it…..

89. Two Thirty~Five Designs says:

werrrrk it…..

90. Rachael Genson says:

So glad that you attended again this year because it meant that I finally was able to meet you after following the blog for so long. Also so glad that I was brave enough to go up and talk to you and that yo were just as nice in person as you are on this blog, but that’s a whole other conversation. Next year, I’ll take you up on that whole best friend offer. :)

08.07.13 · Reply
  91. I’m so glad you were able to make it. Thanks for always being so generous with your wisdom and time. We hope you can make it down for our last hurrah in March!

92. Rachael Genson says:

So glad that you attended again this year because it meant that I finally was able to meet you after following the blog for so long. Also so glad that I was brave enough to go up and talk to you and that yo were just as nice in person as you are on this blog, but that's a whole other conversation. Next year, I'll take you up on that whole best friend offer. :)

08.08.13 · Reply
  93. I'm so glad you were able to make it. Thanks for always being so generous with your wisdom and time. We hope you can make it down for our last hurrah in March!

08.08.13 · Reply
  94. Abby says:

I felt the exact same way afterwards — like I was basking in a summer camp afterglow. So many amazing ladies and new blogs and just general awesomeness.
    xx Abby | http://www.ageektragedy.net

08.08.13 · Reply
  95. Abby says:

xx Abby | http://www.ageektragedy.net

08.08.13 · Reply
  96. Jessica says:

Love this! I’ve been secretly wanting to start a blog for awhile and secretly stalking this blog as well. Thanks for the newfound inspiration on women being empowered to do things for themselves!
    Jessica

08.09.13 · Reply
  97. Jessica says:

Love this! I've been secretly wanting to start a blog for awhile and secretly stalking this blog as well. Thanks for the newfound inspiration on women being empowered to do things for themselves!
    Jessica