I’m a sucker for habits. Especially when it comes to products; if I find something that I like and I’ll use it until I can’t find it any longer. My motto is if it works, it works then don’t mess with a good thing. I think I mixed a couple of sayings together in there but you get the idea. The other thing I’m a sucker for is affordable items that actually work. I’ve spent a lot of money trying fancy facial creams, lotions, shampoos, etc. But I always come back to my old standbys every time.
You can probably tell that I’m pretty simple when it comes to beauty products. I tend to stand by what works no matter how simple it is. I’ve had a few people ask my beauty routine and I’m always shy to say that it’s just a mild face wash morning and night with daily moisturizer. I am a bit more fancy when it comes to cosmetics and I’ve upped my makeup game recently with a few of my favorite brands like NARS blush, Laura Mercier foundation and some new Chanel Lipstick. I know that these items I buy less frequently so I can splurge a bit more since I won’t run out of them in a month. (Although I use BareMinerals mascara and that’s a bi-monthly habit if I must confess.) But when it comes to a beauty routine, I like to go simple. For me, if it’s difficult I won’t do it, so I try to make it painless enough to make sure I follow through. Basically I’m basic when it comes to beauty basics. Below are my not-so-fancy everyday essentials that I use each day, rain or shine.
From the top, l to r:
1. L’Oreal EverPure Shampoo– hands down the best shampoo I’ve ever used. It makes my hair full and doesn’t seem to strip away oils and my hair feels much less damaged even if I straighten or curl it every day.
3. SkinFix Hand Cream– I’ve talked about this lotion before and it’s no joke. If I ever have a rough spot, I put a little bit of cream on their and overnight it’s gone. SORCERY.
4. SkinFix Daily Lotion– since I loved the hand cream so much I switched to using their daily lotion in the mornings. It’s light but very moisturizing, especially good for this winter.
5. St. Ives Apricot Scrub – I’ve used this stuff since I was a teenager. I exfoliate my face about once a week or more if I feel a few breakouts headed my way. It’s gentle and doesn’t dry my skin out.
6. Boots No. 7 Eye Cream – this is a new regular in my beauty routine. I use it just in the mornings underneath my makeup. Who even knows if this is right, but I do it anyways. Pro tip: read the instructions on the box before throwing away.
7. MultiVites Gummy Vitamins– so in order to remember to take a vitamin everyday, I leave these on my bathroom counter andlet’s be honest: gummies the only way I’m going to take a multi-vitamin. The other ones are like horse pills. Plus, these taste delicious and sometimes I take more than the recommended dose which is probably why my hair grows fast.
8. Up & Up Makeup Remover Wipes– Another product that’s been with me for a few years now. Cheap, easy, always accessible. These little guys are life-savers — especially for the nights that I am too tired to take my makeup off by sink and soap, I just use these. Plus, they get eye makeup off easily and are super soft. Please never stop making these Target.
9. Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer – about a year ago I started using moisturizer underneath my makeup and couldn’t believe the difference in my skin and also in the way that my makeup applied. This lotion is so light and I’ve never had an outbreak with it.
10. Cetaphil Face Cleanser – I go between this soap and the bar soap when traveling (it’s easier to travel with) but I’ve washed my face with Cetaphil for years. Like so many years I can’t remember when I started — maybe when I was in high school? College? Always? It’s my favorite because my face never feels dry after I wash it but it still feels clean.
11. Maybelline Baby Lips – I use and lose a lot of lip balms but I love to keep this one around. I don’t know how moisturizing it is per se, but it makes my bare lips look like they have gloss on or can turn a matte lipstick into a glossy one. And it tastes delicious. I’m into it.
So there you have it. My everyday essentials and beauty habits.
I also just started using Target Subscriptions to help me remember when I need a restock on my essentials. It’s the best idea I never thought of. I’m always the person who forgets last minute that she needs shampoo and by last minute I mean in the shower looking down the barrel of an empty shampoo. So I just order what I need, schedule it out and it shows up on my doorstep before I even realize I need it. It’s a nice way to shop without really having to shop.
So what are your beauty essentials? Are you fancy or basic or somewhere in-between?