Heart You

My husband so kindly let me take these red shoe laces out of his oxfords so that I could knock off a certain pair of J.Crew booties (which are sadly no longer online so you’ll have to take my word that these are the exact knock off, ok?). I’m giving myself a pat on the back right now because I bought my lace up wedges a few years a go and who knew that they’d still be considered cool three years later? And even if they aren’t considered cool, I’m wearing them. I mean wearing a huge heart on your sweatshirt is probably not considered that cool either, but has that stopped me? Never.

So I got my hair colored with some red a few months ago and since I was a hair color virgin, I had no idea that roots happened so quickly. Call me an idiot, but how in the world do people keep up with these types of things? I woke up one day and there they were, just staring at me like I’m the impostor here. Ladies who color your hair monthly, I salute you. I also solute those who do laundry on the regular and who paint their nails within the lines. You are all my heroes.

Sweatshirt: Wildfox

Chambray: Similar

Jeans: Gap

Shoes: Similar

Tote: Madewell

1. Brittanyc_14 says:

I colour my hair every month and a half.. and that's stretching it!
    It's a hard thing to keep up.. and costly!

2. Mandy says:

So beautiful! I just found your blog and it's wonderful!
    Greetings from TX.
    Nestled in Nostalgia

3. Kendi Lea says:

So hard!! I'll probably just go back to brown because I just can't keep it up!

4. Mai Linh Nguyen says:

My hair was a berry color and it would fade soooo fast. I feel you! Love the polka dot pants :-)

01.04.13 · Reply
  5. I gave up on coloring my hair (ESPECIALLY red shades) a few years ago for this exact reason… I have neither the patience nor the cash to color my hair every single month. Ugh. I think that is the beauty in ombre dyeing – still looks pretty but no real up keep!

01.04.13 · Reply
  6. ahh, my friend. roots are hard….no more highlights for this girl, I just go dark, then darker 😉
    digging the look today!

7. Gorgeous!

I said fuggedaboutit to roots.  I only do wash out color now, so I don't have roots to deal with.  It's sad that it doesn't last as long, but if I don't get around to dyeing it when I "need" to, my roots aren't glaring at me.

8. Natali Karppinen says:

Gorgeous jeans and sweatshirt!!

01.04.13 · Reply
  9. I have always wanted to color my hair, but fear this exact situation! I can only imagine how awful it will be to keep up once I become (gasp) gray!

01.04.13 · Reply
  10. Love this sweater! Adorable!

xoxo Jessica

11. Ashleigh | Love Stoned says:

Red definitely fades the fastest….I so wish I could keep it up too!! I love the sweater, boots, pants…its all very 'cool' to me 😉

xx Ashleigh

12. Amy Campbell says:

Love this sweater and the whole outfit!

13. Jessica says:

haha!! Thank you, thank you! (I paint my nails pretty good. Don't be fooled and think that I do laundry regularly, or make regular hair-care appointments.)  Your wildfox sweatshirt is THE cutest! I love those! :)

14. Jamie says:

I dyed my hair red last year and I was amazed too!!!  I only lasted for 4 months as a ginger…sad day.

15. Kelly Unger says:

Hi Kendi i love your style!  I live in Dallas and always love seeing fellow Texas bloggers :)

01.04.13 · Reply
  16. I have to go every 5-6 weeks. It is getting too $$$$ lol :) You look happy so people will see your smile, not your roots! :)

17. Laura Whitman says:

I love this outfit! That sweater is so adorable. Also, how awesome that you have a hubby that lets you steal his red laces – I hope that I can one day say that I have a husband that cool.

Also, I know what you mean about the roots; part of the reason that I have not died my hair yet. I am tempted to do the whole ombre thing though, because then you don't have to worry about the roots!

18. Anne Hill says:

The red laces really make the boots! What a good husband to let you steal them :)

01.04.13 · Reply
  19. My natural hair color is about yours, and I've learned that highlights are easier than full color, and ANYcolor is easier than red. Red just looks so vibrant, and makes even the prettiest, richest brown hair colors look ultra dull. So sad. My hair used to be the color of yours, but the upkeep was annoying.
    I think it still looks good though! And no one would really be able to tell that much if you keep wearing high heels. That way, no one under 6 feet tall can see the top of your head. Which is most of the world. So then you don't have to dye as much. Win win. Right?

20. Rosely Carrasco says:

I have wanted to color my hair since forever but just thinking about doing the monthly touch ups is enough to keep me away.

01.04.13 · Reply
  21. Love your heart sweater and those polka dot pants! And I really love the red hair, but I can imagine how much work it would be to keep up. Have a great weekend!

01.04.13 · Reply
  22. I love your style and your hair!
    I'm a new follower stopping by

23. Afancydayblog says:

Love the Hair!! But it is such a pain to keep up. I'm even a hairdresser and I'm so bad at getting my roots touched up!

24. Rachelle says:

I love this outfit, I would so wear it. And I'm on the hunt for the perfect wedge booties as well. I can paint my nails within the lines only because I have so many nail polish and shoes I cannot afford the nail salon anymore lol

25. EllieMaddie says:

Love your jeans!

01.04.13 · Reply
  26. I love the heart sweater unashamedly, and there was a heart sweater at target that I nearly bought until I reminded myself that I already have a million sweaters I never wear.
    Also, I agree with the dyeing-hair-monthly heroes. I could never be that consistent. Yet here I am contemplating going totally blonde just for the fun of it.
    It won't be so fun when my roots show up in the opposite color and then I have to keep it up or dye it back to brown…

27. Shannon says:

I've been trying to figure out how to wear my favorite chambrays now that it's gotten colder. Duh- layered under a cute sweater! Thanks for the inspiration.

01.04.13 · Reply
  28. Love the big heart sweatshirt and this whole look – perfect for the weekend!

29. info says:

My monthly trip to the hair salon is a huge pain in the butt but I doubt I will ever go back to being a natural blond now that I have dyed my hair red. I just get too many compliments now to give it all up.

Love the booties!

30. Samantha Peterson says:

I did the same with my hair (reddish tint) and the roots just showed up! I'm going in on Saturday to get a touch up! Bless those blondies out there! Love the J.Crew Knock-offs, sometimes you just have to improvise!

31. Petiteish says:

And ladies who iron 😉 and do dry cleaning more than once a year…

01.04.13 · Reply
  32. I can hardly cut my hair once a year let alone dye it monthly! Kudos to those kind of gals haha

33. Stephanie Lam says:

Those darn roots! Love that heart sweater and polka dots !

34. info says:

Love the booties!

01.04.13 · Reply
  35. I just saw those pants at the Gap! Love them…even though I really want the anchor pants I saw…Anyway this look is SUPER adorable.

I color my hair every 6 months or so…my roots grow in but honest the red in my hair usually fades a bit so it always sort of looks natural or a natural ombre.

36. kate says:

I love your sweater!! I'm pretty sure i need it :)

01.04.13 · Reply
  37. Yeah, that's why I've never colored my hair! Too much work! I love those pants and the red laces are a cute touch!

38. Miranda says:

I get my hair colored every six weeks! Eventually you just get used to it being a part of your routine.

I absolutely love that you switched out your laces, what an easy and cheap way to change up lace up booties! So cute, Kendi

39. Annika Benitz says:

I gave up on coloring my hair every month and just let me roots grow out. At a certain point my hair will just look ombre, right? Let's hope.

40. Donna says:

LOVE this sweater and polka dot combo! So cute.

01.04.13 · Reply
  41. love the shoes and also your hair looks GREAT! i used to do the whole monthly hair color thing until i went ombre. now it looks like i put a lot of effort into it when really it looks better and better the longer i let my roots grow out. it's like the best form of trickery i've ever pulled off.

42. Kgolightly says:

I got my hair colored for the first time in April and now my roots are about 4 inches long! I can't afford to color every 6 weeks but that's okay because Pinterest says my hair is "ombré"!

43. teravada says:

Not a fan of your hair colour at all.

44. new to your blog, and I am loving it!! the outfit is suuper cute 😀

45. Joyce says:

I love the heart with the polka dots!! And about the roots… I dont know how people keep up them either…?

46. Amy says:

love the gold heart, even if it's not cool.

47. GlamourGirl_bg says:
    01.04.13 · Reply
  48. Love the heart sweater!  I am a post-college, married, 20-something, and a middle school girl I teach told me "I have that same shirt!" when I wore a heart tee shirt to class.  12 years old at heart, folks.

49. Sarah H. says:

Love the outfit and your J. Crew impersonating booties! As for the hair…maybe next time you could try highlights? Roots look a little better when your whole head isn't a different color. Or you could get lowlights and have some of your natural color put back in. Or just give up and shave your head. All good options.

Sarah's Real Life

50. dogloverinmn says:

I dye red as well, and I love it.  Except it's the hardest color to get into hair.  And the easiest to fade away.  I go to the salon every 5 weeks.  I've a lot of grey, especially in the front (always the way of it) and have just decided that when I turn 50 (I'm almost 42 now) I'm shaving it all off, and however it grows back in, I'm living with.

Love your blog – you always look totally adorable!

51. Mia Moore says:

That sweater! Ahhhh. I'm in love.

01.04.13 · Reply
  52. I got the similar sweater at Target several weeks back on sale. Now I have an outfit idea! Thanks!!

53. Count To Four says:

i've never dyed my hair, but i've always wondered myself, i would be way to lazy to keep up with my roots! love the heart sweater :)

54. Janine BakeGlueandTrend says:

The perfect weekend outfit! Loving it. Also I always think roots look nice when they just start to peep through like yours are, very relaxed and natural.

Janine xxBakeGlueandTrend

01.04.13 · Reply
  55. Roots are the pits! I always try to stick close to my natural color or a darker version of it so as it grows out it fades also..and then just add some highlights to pump it up a bit.

56. Leigh Ann Fisher says:

Yep, they are gone one day and here the next. It's the pits.

57. Typhanie Stewart says:

I've never dyed my hair. Keeping up with washing it is enough as it is!

Love the DIY JCrew booties :)

58. triskelos says:

I love the sweater! You look great in it)

59. Ellen Dignazio says:

I have suede bootie wedges…very similar to yours… they look good with the cropped pants/jeans…. I am always second guessing when I put them on

01.04.13 · Reply
  60. You just hit the exact reason why I opted to go ombre! Who knew roots could be so chic?

61. TheresaTran says:

CUTE! I love the heart sweater and pants! (:

62. Gina says:

this is the exact reason I don't color my hair!  but yours looks gorgeous…roots and all :).

63. Brandy Saldana says:

I am still a hair color virgin and would rather not think about roots. I probably wouldn't be able to recognize them! lol. Love the boots Kendi, nice way using what you have to pull the look off. You are the essence of cool.

64. Anna D Kart says:

yep the roots show up! I think that's why you have to go closer to your natural color so there won't be a huge difference… Or just not to care because going to salon every month will empty my budget

65. Demi3 says:

Your outfit is adorable and your comments are adorable. I love your new color although maintaining can be a pain. Some tips….try a different part (the color fades in the most exposed areas), root touch ups from your local pharmacy stretches your color and saves you money (so you can do more shopping of course). Peace

01.04.13 · Reply
  66. oh my.. the world of haircolor! I'm glad that you decided to go to a salon to get your red done – I've been told that red is the absolute hardest color to replicate – especially on top of another color. My sister did red like yours – and she has naturally chocolate brown (ash brown) hair – and once you get red in your hair, it's a damn shame to try and get it OUT. If you want to tone it down and inch it back to your natural hair color – I'd go a neutral brown or an ash – threaded in (think lowlights) just to slowly help those roots grow back in. If you do dye your hair an all over brown – lean towards the ash brown (almost every brown has red in it, but ash has green to counteract the red and balance brassiness) but be careful! Dying brown back (especially if not threaded in, but just a solid all over) can get REALLY dark really fast, and get very "flat" looking (when solid). Natural undyed hair (especially your natural brown) has lots of colors, so it doesn't look so flat – you could even get away with doing a color at home. I did my sisters with a light ash brown (hair dye always goes darker than you think, especially browns) – medium ash brown can end up looking BLACK – so just be really careful if you go to a salon and get all over brown again – you don't want it too be TOO solid or too flat! Get some ash brown lowlights and you'd be set. They can even put more on top so that your roots (and natural color) can grow back in while waiting. I got my hair super highlighted in high school – and it's been 14 years and I swear I still haven't gotten my ash brown roots all the way grown back in. It takes a really long time (I have long hair.), so I just buy a light ash brown semi and use half a bottle at home, and thread it into my hair once it starts to fade – and just keep doing it (leaving my roots untouched so they can keep coming in.) Long process, but it's cheaper (at home) and works! They have lots of great at-home hairdye now! I stick with the demi (that can wash out in 28 shampoos) because anything that is darker than your current hair color won't wash out in a typical 28. Demi (or wash out hair color) tend to have more colors mixed in when you dye it, too, so your hair won't look so "flat" looking) – think Natural Instincts. Hope this helps! I feel for ya! And the thing about all this "ombre" talk – ombre isn't roots showing. Ombre is like a fade out from light to dark – and it's usually super close to your natural haircolor and if done wrong, can look super tacky! Rich, all-over mixed color looks so much better and so much healthier with hair! Ombre just looks like fried hair with dark streaking roots!

01.04.13 · Reply
  67. What a  color ful outfit! love it!

68. Ashley says:

If you're over the red, just try to match your natural as close as possible. Then when it grows out, it won't be that noticeable. After awhile, if there's a line between your actual color and the colored part, highlights will help or you can ombre it out. Love your pants and the shoes, by the way! Especially with the red laces :)

xo Ashleyluckylittlebird.blogspot.com

69. Ladiesinnavy says:

loving this sweater with the pants and awesome shoes, knock-off or not!
    kw, http://www.ladiesinnavy.com

70. Adorable shoelaces!

71. Alissa Futhey says:

I did one thing related to color in my hair and that was it! It's so much work to keep it up!

72. Supal says:

I know which shoes you were talking about and I was in love with them too! I might just have to make my own knock offs!

73. Angela says:

How could I've not known that you were a fellow (former) hair virgin?! I couldn't imagine not knowing this vital info…I am, too, considering the cross over! I've always been super proud to be one, but now I'm suddenly envious of all glorious color and seeing nothing but bragging rights to claim. So…cross over, worth it?

74. Kendi Lea says:

You are a wealth of information!!! Thank you! I will go back brown, I just have always wanted to try red because you know why not? I like it but it's too much maintenance and sometimes you just miss what God gave ya. The stylist who does my hair is a precious and patient woman, so I'm in good hands but I had NO idea about going back to brown from red. I'm a little nervous now!!

75. Caitlin says:

Hahaha, I don't think I'd have noticed your roots had you not said something! Oh, and I believe you about the J.Crew booties because I wanted them! 😉

76. stephanie says:

roots are in! =)

77. Briel79 says:

I used to have red hair (and loved it) but it was so hard to keep up with. I'm finally almost all the way back to my natural hair color and suddenly I miss the red. *Sigh* I can't have it both ways! :)

78. 2girlsin2cities says:

Carrie Bradshaw also had the same problem with roots – although she never addressed it on the show so maybe she didn't know it was a problem? Anyway, you're in good company. – J

79. Rachel says:

Your outfits are always wonderful and your humor has me cracking up and coming back to read the next thing you say. Seriously – you must have been born with your sense of wit and humor. I don't think people can learn that.

80. Kelly M says:

if you go with a color closer to your natural one try a demi-permanent color. It fades over severalmweeks so you don't get roots showing so much. Besides, have you seen the hair color on celebrities lately? Apparently roots showing isn't such a big deal anymore!

81. Kacie Ellis says:

I just got some polka dot pants from my sister for Christmas and I can't wait to wear them :) Love how you styled yours!

82. twopugsandanugget says:

These jeans just arrived!! I love them but after seeing how you have styled them, I love them even more! Thanks for the inspiration.

83. Sheree H says:

Love the polka dot pants!

84. Wendy says:

Great outfit – always nice to add a touch of whimsy to your outfits. Happy New Year!

85. Lauren says:

I let my roots grow out WAY longer than that.  My hairstylist uses a different kind of color on my roots so that it's less noticeable when they grow out.  I'm terrified of what'll happen when I go gray, though!

86. Hannah says:

That's why if I ever dyed my hair, I'd do the ombre look. Pretty and much less low maintenance

87. Caroline L. says:

This is one of the cutest "graphic-print" sweaters I've seen! And your hair is still gorgeous! :)

88. Happinessatmidlife says:

Love your sweater.  I color my hair every 5 weeks due to my grays and it drives me nuts.  I can't do my nails though – the high maintenance is way too much work.

89. Jennifer says:

Cute fake out boots!

xo Jenniferhttp://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

90. Aymara de Armas says:

I like the color and your roots, and I didn't even know it was possible for people to paint their own nails within the lines.

91. Amy says:

j'adore!  happy 2013.

92. Mica says:

Love the heart graphic jumper it looks great! :) The red laces on your boots are a nice touch too :)

93. Pencil Perfect says:

Oh dear – I wrote a novel! Ha ha! Trust your stylist – they know their stuff! Your natural color looks almost medium ash brown with a tish of neutral (gold) brown – but if you jive the red (like my older sis did) you can still enjoy it while growing your roots out, lowlighting with a medium ash brown (or a neutral brown, not ash or golden) streaked in enough to where, if your stylist streaks it in enough and widely throughout, you could actually turn your red hair into a brown hair with reddish brown highlights :) then your roots would be nothin' , and you could still enjoy your red locks! Good luck! No matter why, I'm sure it'll look great!

01.05.13 · Reply
  94. If you sneak your roots past the awkward stage… it's be some form of ombre. Hold on tight! {{worst advice given}}

95. Elisabeth says:

I rarely comment and I'll admit rarely read your blog these days, but not because I don't love you, but because I abandoned my blog this fall and didn't look back…..but back I am, maybe. Any who;) I just wanted to say you are the cutest and I love love love your posts and following you on IG. I know what boots you're referring to and I have had red laces on my imaginary fashion to-buy list for some time, I have some lace up boots from a while ago, and now I MUST get those red laces.

96. Kait says:

Such a gorgeous look! xo

97. Christa says:

Roots are pure evil and make me sad:(. Love the colors and wedges are so cool!

98. Andrea says:

the sweater is adorable :)

99. XeanaFashion says:

Amazing sweatshirt!

From http://www.xeanafashion.com

100. KathleenBean says:

Hi Kendi!   I'm asking all my favorite bloggers to please try an outfit with a men's tie this week.   I know you could make this look very stylish.  I hope you will participate.

101. ECF says:

I just stumbled upon your blog and I really do like it! Definitely following from now on. Happy New Year! xx ECF

01.05.13 · Reply
  102. LOVE that sweater!!!  Wildfox is the best!

103. Eleanor says:

I recently began coloring my hair and was also totally stunned by how quickly roots appear. I actually use henna from hennaforhair.com because I'm breastfeeding and like to keep my exposure to chemicals minimal. It's a chore to do it myself, but its much less costly, especially once you have colored all your hair and only need to touch up roots. An added bonus, it super healthy for hair. Lov love love it. I have blonde hair and colored it auburn and its a similar shade to your new color. Obviously, I highly recommend it. Hennaforhair also is the safest option I have found, as many henna mixes for hair cn be filled with chemicals, like lead. So just a heads up if you decide on henna. :)

104. Dosta Radnjanska says:

i love the hearted sweater

Enter my dress and make-up goodies giveaway here: My first Giveaway

105. Sarah says:

I absolutely love how you stole the red laces from your husband!  Haha! This whole outfit is great. Have a great weekend!

01.05.13 · Reply
  106. Love the red laces! I have brown booties but with the brown laces… I would love to update them with a fun color of laces- so cute. Also, the heart shirt is always a winner!

107. Melissa says:

I really love that sweater. So sweet.

<3 Melissa

01.06.13 · Reply
  108. Felyn says:

I love those pants!

01.06.13 · Reply
  109. Francesca says:

This is such a cute outfit, I love your sweater and pants! You styled this beautifully!

01.06.13 · Reply
  110. Jupe_Cambria says:

Your hair is darling…I didn't notice a thing wrong!  And I ADORE those wedge booties…have similar ones myself and can't get enough of how comfy they are.
    <3 Cambriajupefashion.blogspot.com

01.06.13 · Reply
  111. Fashionbeautyquest says:

Such a gorgeous outfit – love the boots.

01.06.13 · Reply
  112. Anca Madalina Baboi says:

Lovely sweater! Sooo sweet! Have a great year, Kendi! All the best!

01.06.13 · Reply
  113. Nail painting is for people with patience lol

01.06.13 · Reply
  114. Aimee G says:

Your husband is a trooper! 😉 And laundry always catches me off guard as well. Happy new year!

01.07.13 · Reply
  115. love your blog. Just stumbled across! Can't wait to see more!

01.07.13 · Reply
  116. Catherine Lea Anderson says:

Really love that heart sweatshirt…and the red laces are perfection!

Cathy, your Poor Little It Girl

01.07.13 · Reply
  117. Genie says:

Yay for heart sweaters! I'm totally going to relace my own wedge booties with a bright color to refresh my wardrobe a bit, thanks for the idea. I have no idea how people keep up with their hair dying routine either, I know I'd never have the time…lol.

01.07.13 · Reply
  118. Gina says:

Kendi! thanks for making me laugh.  You are my outfit inspiration hero;-)  I don't color my hair, I love doing laundry (I know, weird), and I try to paint my nails inside the lines but often fall short:-)
    Funny, thing….this has happened about 4 times now…I go shopping at the Gap, buy something amazing and then you are wearing it on your blog.  It makes me feel great knowing someone with fantastic style is picking the same pieces as me:-) yay!

01.07.13 · Reply
  119. Love everything about this look! The colors, jeans, booties… all amazing! :)

XO Nat

01.07.13 · Reply
  120. Psssst says:

I wish you would show us more of that booty.

01.07.13 · Reply
  121. Molly McConn says:

Love your Wildfox sweatshirt! You may have seen–Who What Wear just featured graphic, statement sweatshirts. I got one this fall in a ballet pink with Parisian graphics and although I feared it wouldn't be worn much, I love it!! Very innovative with the shoe laces also!

01.08.13 · Reply
  122. Megan says:

I think this color looks so good on you! If you get the itch to go red again, try asking your stylist if she can use a demi-permanent dye—it slowly fades after each wash (i.e. fades evenly) so that you don't have to worry about roots.

01.08.13 · Reply
  123. Beth Ridings says:

you are so cute! love it!

02.19.13 · Reply