Ebb and Flow

8.31.10a
8.31.10b
8.31.10c
8.31.10d

One thing is for certain. I have a deep obsession with pairing these heels with this necklace. With every outfit I put on I have to put both of these items back, restraining myself from accessorizing the same every single day. I’ll probably do this for about 5 more outfits and then move on completely. Do you ever do that with certain items? I’m crazy about something for 3 months straight and then don’t wear it for another 6 months. This could also have to do with seasons and weather. But I’ll let you decide.

I’m breaking my “tucking is good for you” rule today. What a little rebel. I just make these rules to break them. But honestly it’s because my pants come up a bit too high to tuck this shirt in. And it just looked better this way. I like the flowiness [adj. when flow meets more flow and they get together and make a lot of flow. Also see: billowy] of this structured shirt. I think perhaps next time I’ll pair it with skinny jeans, but I like this look. Plus it was super comfortable today. I didn’t even feel like I was at work. Until my phone rang and the emails came flooding in and someone knocked on my door and woke me up. But other than that, I felt great today.

If you read the Modly Chic interview, yes it’s all true. I really do get dressed in the dark every day. I don’t however shower in the dark. That s**t is scary.

(Before I forget, I wanted to give a little warning if you are purchasing the red suede heels online. The ones that I have are the red suede heels, not to be confused with the equally cute canvas ones. However, the canvas ones are more of a light coral, not the orangey red you see on my blog)

1. LOVE LOVE the necklace colors with the shoe color….they really compliment each other well….you really look great in this outfit!

09.01.10 · Reply
  2. Thanks for the tip on your shoes! That's a good thing to know. I don't think I could walk in them, however… so nevermind. But I want them in my heart of hearts.

I LOVE the silhouette of these pants on you. You are stupendous.

3. Archives says:

aww, kendi you are the cutest!

4. Justine says:

Your necklace and heels are such a nice pop of color!

Just Better Together

5. Sarah says:

Those talbot pants fit you perfect. Ahh I love them. Who wouldn't pair those colors together. They have the excitement of a yard nome and the color of one too.

6. Rachael says:

Bravo Kendi! Feel free to break the rules ANYTIME when you can look this cute!

09.01.10 · Reply
  7. I love pairing red and teal together; it's one of my favorite color combinations. Also, again, you're so gorgeous.

09.01.10 · Reply
  8. I don't accessorize often with jewelery… but when I do, it's most often with pearls. Always pearls, like I'm Barbara Bush circa 90s. But hey, I think they're classic for a reason!

And those red suede heels are actually on my wall (various UO magazine shots are decorating my room), so I'm verrrrry tempted. However, so many other shoes are calling my name. It doesn't help that I'm indecisive! and poor.

Toast with Charmalade

9. Courtney says:

My problem with shoes is I wear them to their deaths when I have to give them to the Goodwill. I over wear my favorite shoes and they don't tend to last very long.

Courtney

10. Colleen says:

I notice I get in a kick where I really like something and then I wear it frequently for a few months and then I almost never wear it again.

11. Tanvi says:

This is a great yet simple look! Perfect for Texas! πŸ™‚

09.01.10 · Reply
  12. I don't blame you for obsessing over that pairing…adorable!

On another note entirely, I DO shower in the dark, at least when I wake up groggy. I feel like it gives me some extra time to re-adjust.

09.01.10 · Reply
  13. Turquoise and red are a great pairing!

I used to wear my Target platform heels all the time. I wore them like four months in a row. Now, not so much.

14. Alison says:

I can see why you wear those together they are so cute! Love the outfit as usual

<3 Alison
    alisonscampusfashion.blogspot.com

15. Bea says:

Totally! Sometimes I like an outfit combination so much I wear it for the entire week (because I am lazy and gross?). But I make sure I am meeting up with different people everyday. They can all take turns complimenting my outfit! Haha πŸ™‚

Bea from A plus B

16. Jamie says:

No wonder you pair this necklace with those shoes. The combination is fabulous, and I think you can get great use out of the pairing in the fall. Just beautiful!

17. Emily says:

One of my favorites of your outfits. I am guilty of wearing the same things over and over.

18. Liz says:

I love these colors together I would want to do the same!

19. ciupa says:

so funny, I wrote about the same thing just yesterday – I'm obsessed with striped tops, belts and leather bracelets right now.

09.01.10 · Reply
  20. Love the shoes, and you look so pretty and comfy in these pictures!

09.01.10 · Reply
  21. Oooh really love this outfit! The flowiness of the shirt is perfect with the wide-leg jeans–definitely inspiring.

09.01.10 · Reply
  22. I love that top! I have a similar one on my wish list for this fall. And I am the same way with clothing items/combos… I get in a rut and want to wear similar pairings or pieces non-stop and then I am totally "over" them. Hmmm…. I'm kind of the same way with music come to think of it!

23. Brittany says:

i just found your blog from you being a guest on what i wore! i love it! where did you get that necklace from??? i found where you got the red suede heels from but not the necklace. I love it! Where can i get it?

24. Brittany says:

25. Gina says:

i would be obsessed with that turquoise necklace & red shoes too; they are the perfect combo πŸ™‚

p.s you are gorgeous!

<3 gina

26. annie says:

I'm all for tucking in, but this look is telling me it's okay to let it hang out every once in a while… I love a look that can pass as professional AND comfy. Win-win.

27. Tiziana says:

Beautyfull blog!!! πŸ˜‰

28. Bryn says:

I just discovered you and I am in love!! (found you via WIW). Added you to my roll and will be a devout follower.

29. Laurelann says:

I love how this simple outfit packs a lot of punch! The red heels and necklace are perfect together. I know what you're talking about with the accessory obsession, though. I go through this periodically. Right now, I have a necklace made from Kshatriya dolls (Russian nesting dolls) and it is weird and awesome; I wear it a lot.

Love your blog!

30. Clare says:

Dude, no kidding. Showering in the dark is some scary shit.

Anyway, love this outfit. I'm SERIOUSLY tempted to break the shopping ban for those heels.

31. Kate says:

Your shoes are wunderful.. But my husband doesn't allow US shopping )-:

It was so nice to see you on WhatIwore!! I love love love that dress! And your dogs are very cute.

32. Sandi E says:

Kendi,

I couldn't stop looking and dreaming of those red shoes until I had them. I put them in my Urban online cart about 97 times until one day I made them mine!

I was a little surprised when I got them because mine are pretty much orange. Don't get me wrong I love orange but I was just expecting red. Is that how yours are?

I just plan to rock them with everything – much like I would a red shoe (what? everything goes with red shoes) and when people stare and point I will act color blind.

Love your blog!
    Sandi

33. Melissa says:

I adore red and turquoise together – perfect combination and I love how you let them shine with the simple pants and white button-down.

Even with the shirt untucked, you look fantastic! I'm terrified to do that without a belt but it looks great on you!

34. Christina says:

Wow I love this look. The billowy blouse effect is one of my favorite looks right now. I love the subtle accessorizing. I think you are drawn to the pairing because of how well the turquoise goes with the red shoes. Love your blog!

09.01.10 · Reply
  35. ooo YES! it is like rediscovering a new piece every few months when you don't wear something. Even better, when you loose it and find it again. Because by then, I have found a new treasure to pair it up with πŸ™‚

36. kskeen27 says:

Brittany — My necklace is from Forever21, but it's actually two different pieces that I combined. The orignal "turqoise" pendant was on a smaller chain so I switched chains and voila. My kind of DIY, you know. πŸ™‚

37. Colleen says:

Kendi I thought I recognized the necklace as one I have in my jewelry box but the chain was different so I thought it couldn't be. Mine is from Froever 21 and I have never worn it because I don't like the chain. Any more details on your DIY? Did you use a totally different chain and replace what the pendant came with?

38. ag. says:

i loved reading that you get dressed in the dark…i do too! my husband works from home and therefore doesn't get up til much later than i do. and now that the days are shorter, it's much darker in the morning…and harder to find things!

09.01.10 · Reply
  39. yessss, i love the necklace and shoes together. well done. (*golf clap*)

09.01.10 · Reply
  40. You look so lovely here! I love this. I need a pair of colored suede heels. I've been wanting blue or purple for awhile now.

I too get attached to a few items and wear them over and over for awhile and then put them away for a spell.

41. Em-Jae says:

Sort of obsessed with your necklace. Sooo pretty!

Yes, I definitely wear certain things certain ways and get really stuck on a few outfits at a time… One particular shirt requires red lipstick…

42. Lydia says:

I think this is perhaps the perfect work outfit – professional, comfortable, and just a wee bit cheeky :). I might try to re-create this from my closet…but I don't do heels, and I think part of the magic of this is the pant-length with the heels. Oh well, here's to trying!

09.02.10 · Reply
  43. Brookelyn says:

Your top is the perfectly loose white shirt I've been looking for! Love it.

09.02.10 · Reply
  44. Brookelyn says:

Your top is the perfectly loose white shirt I've been looking for! Love it.

09.02.10 · Reply
  45. kskeen27 says:

Colleen — Yes the chain I use now is just a bit longer, and but it had a removable pendant on it prior to this pendant so I jus took it off! I toggle this chain between different pendants. If you have a chain you like and the pendant is hooked onto it, just open up the jump ring with tweezers and take it off, then close the jump ring to the pendant. Now you'll have a chain to use on many different pendants.

09.02.10 · Reply
  46. Colleen says:

Thanks. I believe I actually do have a chain and actually the other pendant is discolored (because it was cheap). Looks like I can fix mine. I didn't like the length of the current chain.. It hits at just the wrong spot. Longer would be OK and shorter would be OK.

09.02.10 · Reply
  47. Anonymous says:

Which cut/style of jeans are those? They look great on you.

09.02.10 · Reply