Sweat Equity

4.7.14-6
4.7.14-1

There is something about spring that makes me excited about working out again. I’m starting to think that I hibernate in the winter, especially since workouts are few and far between with the holidays and my heavily recorded TV schedule. But lately all I’ve been wanting to do is be outside — walking the dogs or jogging with friends. (I’m *still* waiting for confirmation on the coolness of rollerblades since my last post.) In fact, I decided this spring to invest in some workout clothes that are actually cute instead of the t-shirts and ratty shorts that I’ve worn since, oh, maybe college? I also use cute clothes as motivation — it’s kind of my thing.

4.7.14-2
4.7.14-4
4.7.14-5

What I’ve realized while shopping for workout gear is that I want to be able to wear these pieces beyond just working out. If I’m going to invest in nice gear, then let’s make this a well-rounded purchase, says my head and my husband. Let’s be honest here, your workout clothes get worn outside of the gym or a workout all the time. Maybe you are meeting your girlfriends for wine but you needed to go for a quick run first. (We call this a ‘run then wine’ in our group.) Or maybe it’s a gym, groceries, and getting things done kind of day — which in most people’s vernacular is just called Saturday. Workout clothes were made for weekends. So I’ve invested in a few pieces that will last me through many workouts and can double as day to day wear, as well.
So do you find yourself wearing your workout gear outside of the gym, too? I’ve pulled together a few looks (featuring pieces I own) that really work it out– fitness wise and style wise:

How do you make your workout gear work in the long run? Do you mix and match it into your closet or keep it in the gym?

_____________
Wearing:
Athleta Spritz Run Jacket (c/o)
DV by Dolce Vita Tee
Athleta Speed Racer Tank (c/o)
Old Navy Yoga Pants
Ray Ban Sunnies

This post brought to you by Athleta, the premier fitness fashion brand for women.

1. Natali says:

I love working out, esp. when the weather gets all nice like now in Spring and even more in Summer time. I just can’t stay inside and all I wanna do is either go out for long walks or jogging and to have a proper workout clothes, always adds to feeling great πŸ™‚

2. Kate says:

Ah, such cute workout gear! I love how bright & fun everything is! That tote is especially cute!

3. aaudubon says:

I throw on a drapy cardigan and swap my gym shoes for ballet flats or boots after running and yoga. And if I get really fancy, mascara post work out. I’m convinced black or grey yoga pants can be brunch or even work approp with the right shoes.

• Kendi Lea says:

Love this! I feel like yoga is the most fashionable of all workouts, no? Yoga pants are the little black dress of workout gear. πŸ˜‰

4. reagan says:

clothes like those might actually get me to work out too. so cute!

5. JB says:

Yes! It’s amazing how much more likely I am to work out if I’m wearing cute workout clothes. Great picks, thanks!

6. Jill says:

there’s nothing better than outdoor yoga! love those tie dye leggings! -jill

redlipswontquit.blogspot.com

7. Pia says:

I love the clothes you picked for working out, but no, no, no! Please…don’t do it. Workout clothes are for the gym! And possibly a quick trip to the grocery (with dark sunglasses on to hide my identity). I say this as a mom of 2 kids who lives in a very casual town.

It’s a slippery slope to pajama jeans Kendi!

• Kendi Lea says:

Bahaha … I think I will be able to control myself…I promise pajama jeans for the bed only. πŸ˜‰

8. Anna Seay says:

yay! I love workout clothes! Roller skate away! I’ve decided to start going to my local ice rink every week for an extra workout. πŸ™‚

~Anna

9. Christy says:

No one confirmed the coolness of rollerblades?! I still have mine and love them–even though I can’t find anyone to ever go with me. *sadface*

Love those blue shorts!! Although they look so comfy I might want to just lay around the house instead of working out.

• Chris says:

I used to work in a college town that had a great (ie super smooth) running/walking track around the campus that was fantastic for blading on. The streets of the small town I live in not so much so my roller blading days are far beyond me.

04.08.14 · Reply
  10. Cute picks!! The striped shirt, utility jacket and track pants look like regular clothes.
    I love to throw boots or booties with my workout pants and run errands. A lot!

11. Alexandra says:

Whoa, love that J.Crew hoodie!

MimosaSaturday.com

12. Liz says:

I LOVE cute workout clothes! I’m obsessed with funky leggings! Just a tiny note, when doing tree pose in yoga, don’t put your foot on your knee! It moves forward and back, not side to side and you could injure yourself.

• Kendi Lea says:

Thanks for the tip! I’m so long that I’m not super flexible so if I haven’t done yoga in a while, that’s just where it ends up πŸ™‚ Need to get back to my classes…

• Pearl says:

I usually just put my foot on my calf in tree pose for that very reason. I’m not terribly inflexible, I just have a hard time balancing in full tree. Hope that helps! (ps, I LOVE http://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene for yoga at home!)

13. Courtney Parker says:
  14. Agoprime says:

VERY NICE LOOK!

15. Elisa Taviti says:

Lovely look, pretty tee!!

With love, Elisa
    My Fantabulous World

04.08.14 · Reply
  16. love your top here! And the running outfit is really cute! I love Lulu for workout gear but it gets a bit…costly. love your picks!

from – The Lion’s Den

• Kendi Lea says:

I’ve never been to Lulu because I’m afraid I’ll like it so I can’t compare but with the pieces I have from Athleta the quality is great! Holds up well in the wash too πŸ™‚

17. sandyalamode says:

i wear the same workout gear over and over. and usually it’s a baggy t-shirt that i’ve gotten for free. i really need some more cute stuff!!

xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

• Kendi Lea says:

That’s how I’ve been! I figure cute clothes can’t hurt a workout! πŸ™‚ I have to buy a few at a time though, so I’m balancing out the slubby tees with cute pieces πŸ™‚

18. Sasa Zoe says:

Awesome workout outfit<3

New on http://www.shallwesasa.com

04.08.14 · Reply
  19. YES! To all of this. I’m in the process of moving and the first thing I’m purging are my OLD gym clothes that are just too nappy for them to exist now… and getting NEW gym clothes asap… Athleta has always been a top choice of mine too. Loving this post, made me giggle πŸ™‚ x

04.08.14 · Reply
  20. Yes, it usually happens. We workout and then we run errands. the busy life.

I normally wear clothes from when I played volleyball but they are just starting to get reaaally old. I like work out clothes but find that sometimes they are too expensive.

Xo, Belen

Androbel Insider

21. Allison says:

You have just given me a VERY good reason to buy nicer running clothes – greatly appreciated.

22. Paige Cassandra Flamm says:

I am loving that workout top you are wearing!

Paige

23. Emma Fox says:

Fun, fun, fun! Love the lime green jacket!

24. Lisa says:

I just started running a few weeks ago, which in all my 26 years I never, ever thought I’d do. Workout clothes, especially running shoes, help psych me up to get out and go, so I prefer to wear them just for that reason. However, some cute options might help motivate me even more!

I adore that striped j.crew hoodie. I’ll have to search out something more in my price range. Thanks for the inspiration!

25. Julie Jansen says:

Amazing color on the jacket..!!

04.08.14 · Reply
  26. Athleta does have some super cute workout clothes but I’m a fan of Old Navy’s workout line!

Classy Chic & Chardonnay

27. elle says:

I have been on a cute gym clothes kick lately ever since I bought a new pair of Nike Frees… Now I want everything to be as cute as my shoes! Great post, love what you shared.

• Kendi Lea says:

I want those too! I was waiting to wear my others out before I got them. I’m glad you love them!

28. Grace says:

29. Nikki says:

that little tee is so cute!! love it!

xxoo,
    nikki

30. Look at that fancy image thing! Cool! πŸ™‚

31. Kimberly Ann says:

I love these picks! I always wear my gym wear around so I agree it’s important to be versatile!

Kim

32. Natali says:

I love working out, esp. when the weather gets all nice like now in Spring and even more in Summer time. I just can't stay inside and all I wanna do is either go out for long walks or jogging and to have a proper workout clothes, always adds to feeling great πŸ™‚

33. Kate says:

34. Holly + Casey says:

Neon work out clothes are my weakness!

35. aaudubon says:

I throw on a drapy cardigan and swap my gym shoes for ballet flats or boots after running and yoga. And if I get really fancy, mascara post work out. I'm convinced black or grey yoga pants can be brunch or even work approp with the right shoes.

36. Renee LeVine says:

great post! I go through phases with working out in the house (where noone sees me) and out of the house and am back into the “out of the house” working out again and am newly into Athleta. I just love their clothes! And you look great in them. I wish I was runner to have a good reason to buy that jacket but unfortunately, I will have to pass.

37. Ana says:

Rollerblading is totally back! When I was in Europe a few weeks ago there were many people cruising through parks and bike paths on their roller blades. If the Europeans approve, it’s cool again. I am already wanting some for the summer!

38. reagan says:

clothes like those might actually get me to work out too. so cute!

39. Jourdin says:

Yes! It's amazing how much more likely I am to work out if I'm wearing cute workout clothes. Great picks, thanks!

40. Jill says:

there's nothing better than outdoor yoga! love those tie dye leggings! -jill

redlipswontquit.blogspot.com

41. Pia says:

I love the clothes you picked for working out, but no, no, no! Please…don't do it. Workout clothes are for the gym! And possibly a quick trip to the grocery (with dark sunglasses on to hide my identity). I say this as a mom of 2 kids who lives in a very casual town.

It's a slippery slope to pajama jeans Kendi!

42. Anna Seay says:

yay! I love workout clothes! Roller skate away! I've decided to start going to my local ice rink every week for an extra workout. πŸ™‚

~Anna

43. Christy says:

No one confirmed the coolness of rollerblades?! I still have mine and love them–even though I can't find anyone to ever go with me. *sadface*

04.08.14 · Reply
  44. i really love the last look with the adorable stripes and neon. i would totally rock all of these outside of the gym!
    xo jac
    thesunshinedistrict.blogspot.com

45. Love the neon jacket look! πŸ™‚

Enjoy your week xx,

04.08.14 · Reply
  46. Cute picks!! The striped shirt, utility jacket and track pants look like regular clothes.
    I love to throw boots or booties with my workout pants and run errands. A lot!

04.08.14 · Reply
  47. love love love! i am actually planning on making some similar purchases once my tax return comes in. if cute gear does not motivate me to get moving 3 times a week, nothing will!

48. Monica M says:

I feel you on the cute clothes = motivation, totally. But after a really good workout (nice and sweaty), I can only stand to do about one errand or stop, then I absolutely have to go home and shower! No way I’d go directly from a run to a wine bar…all stinky and wind blown sweaty hair…nope! Really love those pink patterned tights though…those would look good with my running shoes!

mylightison.blogspot.com

49. mimosasaturday says:

Whoa, love that J.Crew hoodie!

MimosaSaturday.com

50. Liz says:

I LOVE cute workout clothes! I'm obsessed with funky leggings! Just a tiny note, when doing tree pose in yoga, don't put your foot on your knee! It moves forward and back, not side to side and you could injure yourself.

51. Courtney Parker says:
  52. Haley Valerie says:

I love these workout clothes!

Haley
    haleyvalerie.com

53. Agoprime says:

VERY NICE LOOK!

54. Melissa says:

Love cute work out gear. But NEVER wear it outside of my workout…I get WAY too sweaty and stinky for anyone to be around me afterwards without a shower.

55. Kendi Lea says:

Thanks for the tip! I'm so long that I'm not super flexible so if I haven't done yoga in a while, that's just where it ends up πŸ™‚ Need to get back to my classes…

56. Elisa Taviti says:

Lovely look, pretty tee!!

With love, Elisa
    My Fantabulous World

04.08.14 · Reply
  57. love your top here! And the running outfit is really cute! I love Lulu for workout gear but it gets a bit…costly. love your picks!

from – The Lion's Den

58. Kendi Lea says:

I've never been to Lulu because I'm afraid I'll like it so I can't compare but with the pieces I have from Athleta the quality is great! Holds up well in the wash too πŸ™‚

59. sandyalamode says:

i wear the same workout gear over and over. and usually it's a baggy t-shirt that i've gotten for free. i really need some more cute stuff!!

xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

60. Sasa Zoe says:

Awesome workout outfit<3

New on http://www.shallwesasa.com

61. Supal says:

YES! To all of this. I'm in the process of moving and the first thing I'm purging are my OLD gym clothes that are just too nappy for them to exist now… and getting NEW gym clothes asap… Athleta has always been a top choice of mine too. Loving this post, made me giggle πŸ™‚ x

62. Chris says:

63. Jennifer says:

I am totally in need of new workout wear!

seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

64. lavieenliz says:

love the neon!!

giveaway on my blog!

65. Androbel says:

Yes, it usually happens. We workout and then we run errands. the busy life.

Xo, Belen

Androbel Insider

66. Allison says:

67. Paige Cassandra Flamm says:

I am loving that workout top you are wearing!

Paige

04.08.14 · Reply
  68. I love cute workout gear! For me, changing is one of the biggest motivation blocks. If I can look cute in workout gear, it’s easier to head to the gym after class because I’m already ready.

69. Emma Fox says:

Fun, fun, fun! Love the lime green jacket!

70. Lisa says:

I just started running a few weeks ago, which in all my 26 years I never, ever thought I'd do. Workout clothes, especially running shoes, help psych me up to get out and go, so I prefer to wear them just for that reason. However, some cute options might help motivate me even more!

I adore that striped j.crew hoodie. I'll have to search out something more in my price range. Thanks for the inspiration!

71. Julie Jansen says:

Amazing color on the jacket..!!

72. Classy Chic & Chardonnay says:

Athleta does have some super cute workout clothes but I'm a fan of Old Navy's workout line!

Classy Chic & Chardonnay

73. Lauren says:

74. Kendi Lea says:

That's how I've been! I figure cute clothes can't hurt a workout! πŸ™‚ I have to buy a few at a time though, so I'm balancing out the slubby tees with cute pieces πŸ™‚

75. Kendi Lea says:

76. Kendi Lea says:

04.08.14 · Reply
  77. So darn sweet! What great picks! Cute workout clothes are always a good motivator to get up and do something… πŸ˜‰

78. Kendi Lea says:

I want those too! I was waiting to wear my others out before I got them. I'm glad you love them!

79. nikki says:

that little tee is so cute!! love it!

xxoo,
    nikki

80. Look at that fancy image thing! Cool! πŸ™‚

81. Holly + Casey says:

Neon work out clothes are my weakness!

82. Renee LeVine says:

great post! I go through phases with working out in the house (where noone sees me) and out of the house and am back into the "out of the house" working out again and am newly into Athleta. I just love their clothes! And you look great in them. I wish I was runner to have a good reason to buy that jacket but unfortunately, I will have to pass.

83. Ana says:

Rollerblading is totally back! When I was in Europe a few weeks ago there were many people cruising through park and bike paths on their roller blades. If the Europeans approve it's cool again. I am already wanting some for the summer!

84. Wendy Kelly says:

I have rollerblades and I love them! I got them for my birthday a couple years ago and I go rollerblading around a track near where I live! go for it! Mine are bladerunners and they are the women’s style. πŸ™‚

85. Pearl says:

I usually just put my foot on my calf in tree pose for that very reason. I'm not terribly inflexible, I just have a hard time balancing in full tree. Hope that helps! (ps, I LOVE http://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene for yoga at home!)

04.08.14 · Reply
  86. i really love the last look with the adorable stripes and neon. i would totally rock all of these outside of the gym!
    xo jac
    thesunshinedistrict.blogspot.com

87. Love the neon jacket look! πŸ™‚

Enjoy your week xx,

88. Monica M says:

I feel you on the cute clothes = motivation, totally. But after a really good workout (nice and sweaty), I can only stand to do about one errand or stop, then I absolutely have to go home and shower! No way I'd go directly from a run to a wine bar…all stinky and wind blown sweaty hair…nope! Really love those pink patterned tights though…those would look good with my running shoes!

mylightison.blogspot.com

89. Haley Valerie says:

I love these workout clothes!

Haley
    haleyvalerie.com

90. Melissa says:

91. Jennifer says:

I am totally in need of new workout wear!

seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

92. Ashleigh says:

I love cute workout gear! For me, changing is one of the biggest motivation blocks. If I can look cute in workout gear, it's easier to head to the gym after class because I'm already ready.

93. Jackie says:

Cute workout gear really does make a difference. I find that I’m much more motivated to work out when I have a fun top or cute pants to wear. I already have the fun shoes covered, but they help too.

I often run errands before or after the gym (after is gross, but whatever, it happens sometimes).

xo Jackie

Something About That

94. Ahka Vintage says:

Wicked outfit! Totally love that green jacket! Awesome!

AHKA VINTAGE BLOG

AHKA VINTAGE SHOP

Sign up for special AHKA store priviledges

95. Vanessa says:

I love Athleta! I have a dress I bought that I’ve never worked out in, but I wear all the time. Just the IDEA that I COULD work out in it is pretty awesome. πŸ™‚

96. Wendy Kelly says:

I have rollerblades and I love them! I got them for my birthday a couple years ago and I go rollerblading around a track near where I live! go for it! Mine are bladerunners and they are the women's style. πŸ™‚

97. Jackie says:

Cute workout gear really does make a difference. I find that I'm much more motivated to work out when I have a fun top or cute pants to wear. I already have the fun shoes covered, but they help too.

xo Jackie

Something About That

98. Ahka Vintage says:

Wicked outfit! Totally love that green jacket! Awesome!

AHKA VINTAGE BLOG

AHKA VINTAGE SHOP

Sign up for special AHKA store priviledges

99. Vanessa says:

I love Athleta! I have a dress I bought that I've never worked out in, but I wear all the time. Just the IDEA that I COULD work out in it is pretty awesome. πŸ™‚

04.09.14 · Reply
  100. I’ve tried Athleta pants and I’ve really liked them but I haven’t tried their shirts yet!

101. Anne says:

Great post! I agree with you…no one wants to go to the gym in a ratty t-shirt and highwater sweats (which is what I usually wear)!

xo, Anne
    Rays of Rossi

04.09.14 · Reply
  102. I love Athleta first of all. Second of all, I most definitely like to get a lot of use out of my workout gear. I’m definitely one of those run errands before or after the gym types on the weekends.

103. Ashley says:

Hey Kendi! I feel the same way, if you look good, you will feel good and your workout will be better! Self confidence!

Do you mind me asking what program you used to put together the looks? Something touch images?

04.09.14 · Reply
  104. I've tried Athleta pants and I've really liked them but I haven't tried their shirts yet!

105. Anne says:

xo, Anne
    Rays of Rossi

04.09.14 · Reply
  106. I love Athleta first of all. Second of all, I most definitely like to get a lot of use out of my workout gear. I'm definitely one of those run errands before or after the gym types on the weekends.

107. Ashley says:

108. Pearl says:

Hmm… workout gear… I found a pair of Lululemon black capri leggings for $16 (total steal) at my local sports consignment store and I wear them 3 days a week, easy. Best. Pants. Ever. I would certainly never buy them new, but they are magic. I also have an equally magic patagonia sports bra, and on clearance at $17, it was well worth it (and, while I’m singing the praises of patagonia, my snap-T fleece is the warmest, comfiest thing I have ever worn). Other than those magical items, I just wear t-shirts and UA running shorts (same consignment store). Your outfits are darling!

04.09.14 · Reply
  109. LOVE these outfit ideas! They are great ways to inspire me to workout and I won’t feel sheepish if I’m running errands afterward. Totally agree that if you feel great you’ll be more productive. πŸ™‚

110. Pearl says:

Hmm… workout gear… I found a pair of Lululemon black capri leggings for $16 (total steal) at my local sports consignment store and I wear them 3 days a week, easy. Best. Pants. Ever. I would certainly never buy them new, but they are magic. I also have an equally magic patagonia sports bra, and on clearance at $17, it was well worth it (and, while I'm singing the praises of patagonia, my snap-T fleece is the warmest, comfiest thing I have ever worn). Other than those magical items, I just wear t-shirts and UA running shorts (same consignment store). Your outfits are darling!

04.09.14 · Reply
  111. I’m so glad that you featured Athleta! I work for them and loveeee the clothes!

112. Christina Marie says:

LOVE these outfit ideas! They are great ways to inspire me to workout and I won't feel sheepish if I'm running errands afterward. Totally agree that if you feel great you'll be more productive. πŸ™‚

04.09.14 · Reply
  113. I'm so glad that you featured Athleta! I work for them and loveeee the clothes!

04.10.14 · Reply
  114. Awesome break down of outfits and activities! Love all of your picks, totally doable!

Christa

04.10.14 · Reply
  115. Awesome break down of outfits and activities! Love all of your picks, totally doable!

Christa

04.10.14 · Reply
  116. Amy says:

I pretty much only wear workout gear on Saturdays. Now I need a striped hoodie!

04.11.14 · Reply
  117. Amy says:

I pretty much only wear workout gear on Saturdays. Now I need a striped hoodie!

04.12.14 · Reply
  118. Yes, cute clothes for working out & running errands. Love outfits that can transition between both!

04.13.14 · Reply
  119. Yes, cute clothes for working out & running errands. Love outfits that can transition between both!

04.14.14 · Reply