Weekend Whites

If all goes as planned*, we are moving this weekend and last week B and I made the executive decision to get new furniture. Since we got married at the ripe age of 23, we pretty much have nothing of worth in the furniture department. We took hand-me-downs from family or spent our life savings at Ikea and Target our first year of marriage and have used those things ever since. Now while there is nothing wrong with Ikea or Target or hand-me-downs for that matter, after about six years and three moves, our furniture has had it. Case in point, we tried to move a dresser the other day and it literally just fell apart in front of our eyes. I’ve never seen wood crumble like that. We knew in that moment a fourth move was not going to happen.
So this weekend we braved furniture shopping, meaning I’ve dragged Bryan to West Elm three times in the last week.  The good news is we get to have brand new furniture in our new house, the bad news is I’m a thinker, a worrier, a list maker, a dweller and I need about a year to make a solid decision on an investment. I have spreadsheets, people; this is serious business. But on the other hand, I want things finished and done like yesterday so the inside of my head is pretty much a heavy storm of confusion at all times. I am laid back and up-tight all at once.
*things that could and will most likely happened to screw up our plan: heavy rain, busy day at the store so we can’t leave, the high chance of not being fully packed, injuries, lost car keys and the always off chance of an act of God.

Top: c/o Daisy Rae Boutique
Jeans: Similar
Scarf: J.Crew Factory
Shoes: c/o Ivanka Trump
Tote: Madewell

1. Alyssa Gapske says:

Good luck on your move Kendi!

05.28.13 · Reply
  2. Yay for furniture from West Elm. You can go in blindfolded and pick out anything and it will look great. Love that store!

xo Jessica
    My Style Vita

3. Sarah Moore says:

Totally head over heels for this outfit! I wish you the best of luck during your move!

05.28.13 · Reply
  4. love this look! so crisp!! enjoy your new place!! how exciting!

x I dipped in yellow

5. Stephanie Guiler says:

so pretty and I'm loving those heels! xo

6. Melissa says:

best of luck on the move and love your earrings!

05.28.13 · Reply
  7. I think you can pretty much toss plans out the window as a small business owner. Any time Chad and I make an itinerary of any sort, the flood gates open at the shop and we're stuck like chuck, or an employee calls in sick, or the delivery van breaks down. Le sigh 😉

Good luck with your move! And furniture shopping. Excited for you and your fresh start!

8. kiwifashionblog says:

I love that water coloured scarf! It's so fresh and crisp!

05.28.13 · Reply
  9. Moving is a pain in the butt! But yay for new furniture!

10. Rita says:

Always beautiful :)

R de Rita

05.28.13 · Reply
  11. I'm moving on Thursday (and purchasing grown up furniture too!) and can relate to your anxiety 100%.

05.28.13 · Reply
  12. I'm in total love with this look. the mint stripes and the blue polka dot scarf…so perfect for each other!

05.28.13 · Reply
  13. Good luck with the move! It can be torturous but having seen the sweetie-coloured houses where you are moving it looks to be worth the upheaval!
    You really look so happy in your recent posts, obviously it really helped you to share your woes & take a load off :-)

14. Sofia_H says:

Good luck on the move!

15. Caroline L. says:

Good luck on moving! For your sanity's sake, I really do hope everything goes as planned… there's nothing worse than not feeling like you have all the power in the world because the universe decides to make a joke out of a well-planned to-do list!

16. thiscitylife says:

Is "drug" a verb? Don't you mean "dragged" :)? Good luck with the move!

17. Kendi Lea says:

is it dragged? i wasn't sure so I left it up to chance — thanks :)

18. Nicolle says:

kendi, your hair. It is perfect! I know this is a fashion blog but can you please show us how to style it, what products you use, etc? I would love to know!

05.28.13 · Reply
  19. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys. Just remember that you'll be there soon, and road bumps will just make for fun stories later on!

20. Lacey Garcia says:

Whoa that's quite a trek for you to make three times in one week. Unless of course there is a West Elm that is closer to you than Mockingbird Station. I love West Elm. It's dangerous to just 'browse', though. Good luck with the move.

21. S. says:

Good luck!!! I wish I lived in Dallas so I could take a shift for you at the store. I'm sure plenty of people feel the same way! Moving stresses me out terribly as well, but on the plus side, you get to make a whole new start and that's very refreshing.

22. Love your hair and lovely look :) Good luck on your move! x

23. Jamie says:

Ahem. Earrings? Where are the earrings from?!

24. KK @BSMMH says:

OMG. Your shoes just instantly made me turn green…GREEN! Love them, and love the outfit. So summer at the Hamptons. Good luck with the move, and YAY for getting new furniture!

25. Trendy Mondays says:

You look beautiful! Glad to see you looking so happy!

Trendy Mondays – your online destination for Indie European designs.

26. Zadin says:

I'm a big fan of brown and the combination with white looks perfect.

27. Mj Rdn says:

beautiful outfit..white and blue looks so greek..lovely

28. Megan Maddison says:

You look calm, cool and collected even if your head is racing with a million things to do! Love the outfit!

29. Vee says:

"I am laid back and up-tight all at once." Perfect sentence. I am the same way, I just had never been able to put it into words.
    Love the outfit, but mostly, I'm so excited for your new furniture!

Hoping the act of God is perfect weather and a truck load of friends ready to help you both move.

05.28.13 · Reply
  30. Good luck on your move. They say that it is almost as stressful as divorce or losing a loved one. Hopefully it won't be that bad. ; 0

31. Andrea says:

Love this look! What I would love to see is the new outfitted home! Please show pics!! Also, those shoes are awesome!http://akstylemyway.blogspot.com/

32. Serendipity S says:

Totally my style… Great outfit!

33. photosbyjaana says:

good luck! moving sucks. at least you will look cute doing it :)

34. Kate Co says:

Love the outfit – definitely something I could recreate with my own pieces xo

35. Natali says:

Good luck with the moving and it's so great that you're getting the new furniture too, you'll be happy once you start decorating everything that you will forget to think about an investment that you had to put up so quickly.

Great outfit as well! Like your pants and scarf very much!

36. Ellen Claggett says:

great look! Love the shoes.

37. Laura says:

Good luck with the move!! I have a slight obsession with West Elm. I'm sure your new home will be lovely!

38. Batter says:

That sounds like me and my husband buying furniture for our new home! You want to think through your purchases and make wise choices, but you also want furniture like, yesterday, lest your "house warming" party be in like a year from now.

Best wishes during your move!

39. Holley Ackerson says:

Love the color combo on this outfit, very fresh! And LOVE West Elm! It's an exciting process, acts of God and all. Have fun with it :)

40. thiscitylife says:

You can drag him there or drug him – either way will get him to West Elm :)

41. Jennifer says:

OR it could all go profoundly perfect! I am also getting ready to move after ten years and our youngest going off to college. Can you say "empty nester and shouting it from the rooftop?". While I have to admit that routine is my friend (I really could eat the same thing every day, I know, I know), I also love a fresh new start. I'm happy to share that "fresh new chapters" can still happen in your "fabulous fifties" and they are always worth celebrating. Good luck on your fresh new chapter—love your look. SO pretty!

05.28.13 · Reply
  42. I love the all white! The sheer polka dot scarf is super cute! Enjoy the home decorating process.. and remember.. it pretty much takes years to fill a home. And once you're done, it's time to buy a new house. :)

43. Jordan says:

Love this look! That scarf is so cute! Hope moving goes well!!

44. Loraine says:

Love your outfit and WANT that iced coffee! Shopping for furniture is stressful! I highly recommend Restoration Hardware. Expensive, but very high quality and will still be "in" after 15 years. I know, because our RH dining room set is that old and we still get tons of compliments on it. :)

45. Lupe says:

Such a cute outfit! I love the color combination! Good luck with your move. I'm sure it will all be fine 😉

46. Nikki says:

I completely relate to your state of mind when it comes to deciding on investments! We are currently in the "Ikea/Target/hand-me-down" phase of marriage, but I'm so eager to get the "West Elm" years!

47. Kendi Lea says:

Honestly by the end of this, I'm going to have to drug him! baha — that might be the way to go, that way I can really get what I want right?

48. Faith says:

Haha, I totally feel you…fellow list-maker, worrier, etc over here! :-)
    Great scarf!

49. FabEllis says:

You look fabulous! I love the outfit. :-)

50. Amy says:

we got married at 21, got the second hand/Target furniture too… it's all survived only 1 move & 3 years so far… hoping it won't be making the next move. fingers crossed. I have a Google Doc going of links to all my favorite furniture things.

and as always, amazing outfit!

51. lillypea says:

Just looked up where Bloom is located in regards to Denton. My husband will be happy to know that I have two items on the 'pro' side of my 'maybe move to Texas' list- the house market & that I could come check out your cute shop! Good luck with your move and furniture buying :)

52. Sarah H. says:

Is that a genuine smile on your face?! I hope so. Because if you made it through that Starbucks without getting a coffee stain on your beautiful white outfit, you definitely have a reason to smile.

~Sarah of Sarah's Real Life

53. Melissa Z says:

You're description of furniture shopping and making a decision could have been written by me! It's spot on! I just wanted to say GOOD LUCK and you're not alone!

54. Julia says:

I could go into West Elm 3 times a week…nbd. Love that place! It's tough to make such tough decisions that you will have hanging out in your living room for years to come. Go classic.. :) Lovely outfit.

Julia @ http://www.livingoninspiration.com

05.28.13 · Reply
  55. Shopping for furniture excites me just like shopping for shoes, is lots of fun! Hope the move goes as planned and soon you settle in your new home. Looking so fresh and chic girl!

Cee. ♥
    Code Overdressed

56. sealedwithstyle says:

I love this look Kendi. So spring like and fun! As for the home shopping goes, I am sure your place will turn out amazing and beautiful just the way you dress!
    xo, Meg

57. Erin C says:

this post reminds me of a book I'm reading right now that encourages us to look at everything as imperfect progress. As women especially (and self-motivators) we have a tendency to be disappointed if things aren't exactly right the first time we do them. The book encourages us to look at everything as imperfect progress, that as long as we move forward a little every day, things will continue to improve and we will be better off than we were before. With your move, I hope you can see the progress of each little action that matters instead of looking at the whole thing as a task to accomplish. You're getting furniture, which is a huge step! If something goes wrong with your move and things are behind schedule, it is OKAY. You can keep moving forward the next day, and even if it takes a week instead of a weekend, just remember that any progress is movement forward toward your total goal. Good luck!

58. MAHL Twirl says:

Good Luck with the moving and decorating! can't Wait to see it! Don't worry about the decorating…looking at your clothing style and the way you put things together, im sure you'll be fine

59. Emily says:

Your hair looks gorgeous today! Good luck with the move!

05.28.13 · Reply
  60. Can I have that bah when you're done with it. It looks new and I love it every time I see it. Love the brown sandals with the white

61. Morgan Liti says:

Moving is so stressful – but how exciting to have all new West Elm goodies to look forward to! I'd like to redo my whole house in that store! Or, better yet, just move into West Elm and save ourselves the trouble of rearranging!

See Mo Go.

62. Kathrina says:

Can I just say you look especially bright and beautiful in these photos :) Furniture shopping with spreadsheets is always fun haha…good luck with the move!

63. Gina says:

you look gorgeous – good luck with the move!

64. Andrea says:

I love your hair.

05.28.13 · Reply
  65. Great look. I like how you paired the white ith the camel and blue colors!

66. kitsunekun says:

I just scored a sheer vintage scarf at an estate sale and was wondering about how to wear it. shanksh.

05.28.13 · Reply
  67. I told myself during our last move that decorating was a marathon & not a sprint. I took my time and only bought/moved in things I truly loved. 11 years later I still love most everything!

68. Alicia Stanley says:

Love the white jeans! I recently got some and am so afraid they will end up dirty looking by the end of the day. :)

69. melissa rosenkilde says:

Love how that scarf just finishes off the outfit. Good luck with the move this weekend!!

70. Rocio says:

"I am laid back and up-tight all at once." UGHHH, me too! Seriously everday.

71. Lauren Byrnes says:

I love your outfit Kendi! The scarf totally pops! And good luck with the move!

72. Rachel says:

First thought: you are one gorgeous lady. Love this look and absolutely adore you.

73. Sara says:

Kendi – Love your blog and you! Question…your hair always looks SO good…any tips? My hair is straight and flat!

74. Sara says:

I find it terrifying and comforting at the same time to learn that someone else's brain works the way that mine does. Oy vey. Good luck!!!

75. Ainslee says:

Love your white jeans and striped top! :)

xo, AInslee

76. Rae says:

Kendi, you look like a movie star today!

Your hair looks perfect. The length is amazing on you!

77. Sami says:

Talk about a fab hair day!! :)

78. Katie McC says:

Cute top!

05.29.13 · Reply
  79. I love all of the white!! I also have a hard time committing to furniture. Good luck!

Kristina does the Internets

80. Ashlei says:

With as much moving as I've done (I'm a military brat and we would move every 2-3 years while I was growing up), you'd think I'd be a pro, but I hate the process. The thought of a new place is exciting but the actually process of getting to that new place, always exhausting. So I totally understand being a bit stressed, but HOORAY for new furniture I'm trying to convince the bf that we need update a few pieces in our apartment as well. 😉

Good luck with the move!

05.29.13 · Reply
  81. Love how light and summery this look is!

82. Ali says:

Oh my, there is such a lightness and beauty to these pictures.
    And the furniture story… priceless. Yep, you are pretty lucky indeed if your IKEA furniture makes it past two moves. You were already in uncharted territory having successfully executed a third move – a fourth would have been completed only through some act of divine intervention. 😉

83. Anna D Kart says:

Moving sucks! I hate it and seriously has done it 6 times in last 9 years… We waited to get new furniture until we bought our new house. The best decision ever although living with hand-me-downs for 5 years wasn't all that great…
    Take it easy! You can do it!
    btw, loving the white and brown trend – going to copy that

84. haley says:

I have a simliar scarf—been wondering how to style it–thanks~

Colour Me Classic

85. triskelos says:

Perfect summer outfit! Love the mint stripes)

86. Amy B. says:

good luck with your move

87. Mica says:

Such a lovely outfit! I like the white with the green, blue and tan :) Hope your move goes well – and no more furniture falls apart! :)

Away From Blue

88. Meredith says:

Yessss I finally found a pair of white jeans that I love :) good luck moving!!

89. Michelle says:

I LOVE this outfit!!

90. Cathy your Poor Little It Girl says:

Love the pop of blue from the scarf…and those shoes are amazing!

Cathy, your Poor Little It Girl

91. Vickie Simons says:

I love your shoes! Good luck with the move :)

92. Alexis B says:

I just want to say, I am loving the pop of Kendi we get in posts these days. Thanks for being brave enough to put YOU in this blog. It's noticed and appreciated.

93. Rebekah says:

I know exactly how you feel! I've been married for two years and we have only gotten hand me down or Goodwill furniture and I'm ready to have real furniture that matches!

94. Classy Chic & Chardonnay says:

Good luck with your move and furnitue shopping! This is a time for a fresh new "start" and if you look that good furniture shopping I'm sure your house will be put together perfectly!

Classy Chic & Chardonnay

95. Chelsea Tubbs says:

Happy furniture shopping Kendi! We're still smack dab in the middle of Ikea and hand-me-downs so I'd love to see what you guys pick up. I love this cute weekend look, that tote is PERFECT for errand running!

Chelsea & The City

96. Aurélie FORTUNE says:

nice summer look! I like the white like that

05.29.13 · Reply
  97. Ahhh, you sound like me! I am exactly the same way with big changes! In other news, those shoes are freaking awesome and I love the blue/white combo.

98. TERESA A says:

I love those earring and your scarf is pretty! Nice look.

CHECK OUT MY LATEST POST http://sapphire-brushstrokes.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/walk-in-park.html

99. Capella Kincheloe says:

I am sure that your house is as stylish as you are, though as an interior decorator I feel I am much better at interiors than dressing myself. If you need guidance I am happy to help. Sometime you just need someone to tell you that you're on the right path. http://www.capellakincheloe.com

100. Kayla says:

Obsessed with this scarf!!!

101. Elise Chapamge says:
  102. Smart Dresser says:

u look lovely!

103. Bekah says:

Good luck with your move! I'm sure your home will look lovely; West Elm is a great choice for home goods and furniture. Remember to enjoy the new goodness!

104. Andrea says:

I completely relate to the furniture shopping!!! My hubby & I got married 1 1/2 ago & have been inching along to furnish out home…now we are relocated to Mississippi for a few months & had to furnish an apartment….we went the target/marshalls route for that since there was NO ikea anywhere near Jackson, MS….which seems so wrong to me!!!!!

I always find myself on the hunt for household items…my list is never ending. I keep it on my phone so I have it with me at all times to add things :)

105. Shannon says:

Loving the mixed prints with the stripes and that scarf!

05.29.13 · Reply
  106. Love that bag! Looks amazing with all your outfits. Have fun at West Elms. Looove that place. So many great pieces there.

107. Court @ love court xoxo says:

Gosh, I just can't get enough of how you write. For reals, can you write a book? Also, I'm sending good vibes your way so none of the things that could go wrong..don't. I hope it works 😉

108. Amanda G says:

Good luck on the move! I just moved yesterday and can feel your furniture shopping pain. I'm so indecisive so it's hard for me to decide on investment pieces! My last move two years ago also involved a crumbling dresser that we actually glued back together. Let's just say it didn't make this move!

109. michaela says:

Gorgeous casual look! I love the white denim and oak tote, summer essentials!

05.29.13 · Reply
  110. You look so elegant dear Kendi!!

111. Hope Howland says:

ahh… furniture shopping so much fun and stressful all at the same time.. give yourself the freedom to have fun and make mistakes.. it's ok.. in 50 years your grandkids will be like "oh Nana, that couch is so lame.." and you'll be like " don't you realize it came from West Elm??" In the long run it doesn't matter…just don't ever put plastic over the couch because that's never cool.

112. SRee says:

we recently moved to a new house and redecorated the whole place .. its a lot of fun but stressful at the same time … don't rush … take ur time ..
    Check out my latest post at

113. Count To Four says:

love this outfit! it's soooo refreshing! and those sandals are so cute!

114. Dosta Radnjanska says:
    05.29.13 · Reply
  115. When faced with a shopping decision, whether it is to buy a striped tee or a dresser, isn't a similar complication?

I do love your outfit though, very light and refreshing!

twitter and instagram: @BelatedBloomer

05.30.13 · Reply
  116. KateSouth says:

I love the combo of polka dots and stripes, looks great :) Good luck with the move!

05.30.13 · Reply
  117. TheresaTran says:

Very light and fresh outfit!! (: love it!

05.30.13 · Reply
  118. Eileen Finley says:

So clean! This look is so 'Martha's Vineyard'. Love it! Those shoes are killer as well!

05.30.13 · Reply
  119. Claudia says:

Oh I'm a bit jealous! I studied interior design, so if there's anything I could to to help you, feel free to ask :)

You could have a look at my pinboard, maybe there is something that inspires you:

On the other hand, who needs a bunch of distractions when there's already too much to be done 😉

05.30.13 · Reply
  120. mariana says:

lovely and fresh !! best styles =)

05.30.13 · Reply
  121. Kelly Vaughan says:

I know exactly how you feel. I moved into my apartment a few months ago and I cringe when I walk in because it's not done!

Kelly Vaughan
    She's In High Cotton

05.30.13 · Reply
  122. Sonya says:

I live in Dallas and my good friend is a terrific interior designer. She is very reasonable and can help you make good solid, long-term furniture decisions. Send me an email and I can give you her name and number. There is no reason why you should have to do it all yourself.

05.30.13 · Reply
  123. sarahkatestyle says:

I love your outfit – especially that scarf! Good luck with the furniture shopping & move, too!
    xx Sarah
    sarah kate style

05.30.13 · Reply
  124. New place sounds exciting :) Love your hair and the outfit here!

05.30.13 · Reply
  125. Shayla LaFreniere says:

I totally get this!
    My husband and I made spreadsheets for furniture when we bought our home last April, we are both obsessive planners but I also want things done and perfect right away!

05.31.13 · Reply
  126. Jasmine Punia says:

This a simple yet stunning outfit esp for weekend errands….we recently moved and love our new place too….good luck…

06.02.13 · Reply
  127. Natalie Kerner says:

Dude. Whatever you did to your hair this day, it looks _incredible_. Nice shoes, too. And congrats on the move/new furniture! My husband and I are still in the ikea/hand-me-down stage, but I actually really love our bedroom which is all done up in ikea. Can't wait to get a legit couch, though.

06.02.13 · Reply
  128. kristen says:

I really need to get myself a bag like that! love the color and how simple it is.

also, your hair looks phenomenal in these pics. i don't know if you did it or if you are just blessed with naturally messy and awesome hair but i'm jealous 😉

06.02.13 · Reply
  129. Kat says:

Haha, I am 23, just moved in with my partner, and we bought all of our furniture from Ikea & Target – thanks for the insight into our future 😉

06.04.13 · Reply
  130. Elisa Taviti says:

Perefct outfit!

Amazing you

With love

Elisa – My Fantabulous World

06.04.13 · Reply
  131. I can relate to your last paragraph :) I am planning the decor I want for my studio next year and I can't decided what style I want to go with. I have a pinterestboard, a word document, a folder on my PC, snaps on my iPod, … of everything I liked and / or want furniture and decor-wise. I'm terrible! x

06.10.13 · Reply