4 Ways to Get Active (No Gym Needed)

One of my new year’s resolutions this year was to ‘be healthy.’ I decided that this breaks down into two categories: eating healthy and being active. So the first thing I did was cancel my gym membership. I realize this is the opposite of what most people do and in fact I should have just started going to the gym. But I realized that my favorite ways to get active do not involve going to the gym. In fact the actual act of getting me to a gym involves more effort than that excerpted at said gym. But going for a walk with my dog? No problem. Doing a few moves of yoga? Again, no arm twisting there.

I’ve come to find that with the help of the internet and a few other cheap resources I can easily replace the gym and be just as active, if not more.
______________
01 / Get outside. And go for a walk, run, bike, hike or whatever else you’d like to do. For me, I like to walk my dogs or go on a walk with my husband. I try to go for at least 30 minutes, which we can usually get in a couple of miles in that time. When I’m feeling fancy, I try to run or jog a few more miles. Again, this is when the temperature is just right and it’s a full moon. (Side note: is rollerblading cool again? if not, can we bring it back, internet?)
02 / Yoga. Most yoga poses or stretches that you can do on your own only require your body and perhaps a mat for you to do.  I’m obviously no yogi, but I find the stretches that I can do and try to do them in repetition for 30 minutes. It’s a quick work out that is essentially free. A few of my yoga pins: one, two, three
03 / Workout videos. I feel a little bit 1993 using the term video here, in fact, I sat here for a good ten minutes trying to think if there was an alternative to the word video now. Although I miss the good old days of popping into the VCR a VHS tape of Tae Bo, there are SO many resources out there for workouts at home (or if you have a laptop or iPad, you can literally workout anywhere.) For instance, if you are a member of Amazon Prime you can find a ton of workout videos online. (My favorite is Jillian Michaels because she is a bad ass and I envy her arms.) Find more videos online here
Besides Amazon Prime, youtube also has a ton of workouts available. One of my favorite searches is Tracy Anderson. Again, arm envy which is why I am drawn to her work outs. (I just google ‘Tracy Anderson workouts and a ton of her videos come up.)
04 / Pinterest workouts. I mentioned this earlier but I find a ton of workout resources via Pinterest that require not much more than yourself. All of my favorite fitness pins are here, but one of my favorites is the ‘anywhere workout.’ It’s literally a no-excuse workout because you can do it anytime, anywhere.
Obviously my favorite part of working out is the outfit part, but the health benefit of how being active makes me feel is the best part. Plus it gives you an excuse to wear comfortable clothes for the rest of the day. You can either say ‘oh I’m going to work out’ or ‘I just worked out’ and no one will judge you, in fact they will be impressed. Life lessons — you’re welcome.
_____________
jacket: gapfit
top: stateside
pants: β„… Old Navy
shoes: similar
This post was sponsored by Old Navy. Check out Old Navy’s latest fashion lineup in store or online at oldnavy.com. Thank you for supporting the brands that support this blog.

1. Q says:

nice post Kendi, I love reformer Pilates… when I cant do that then a at home vid is always helpful.

Cute kicks your wearing.

2. Brittany Knight says:

My favorite pair of workout pants are from Old Navy – and they’re even in a cute pattern (Don’t tell Nike, cause I have theirs too)! Also, ALL of my friends rollerblade. It’s so fun… and totally coming back.

• Kendi Lea says:

I love ON pants — I have a ton of them! And tell your friends thank yo for bringing it back πŸ˜‰

3. ygulchina says:

I like this post. I feel like this is about the time one (ahem, me) gives up on the “getting healthy” resolution, but writing down what you can do and why you enjoy it is a great way to stay on track. Good job!

01.15.14 · Reply
  4. I definitely need to make it a point to get outside more this year. The fresh and and exercise will do me some good for sure!

Chelsea & The City

01.15.14 · Reply
  5. I always try to do yoga at home (total newb here), but I’m always afraid I am doing somethign really wrong. one of my resolutions this year is to attend a couple classes and then start doing it at home (more cost effective)!

Great tips!

The Curly Casualista

• Kendi Lea says:

Absolutely true. I took a college course in yoga and have taken many classes and find it so helpful when I do it at home. I tend to stick to mainly stretches and beginner poses anyways, but I totally recommend a class or two! Plus they are so relaxing.

01.15.14 · Reply
  6. There are so many great ways to be active that don’t involve going to the gym!! Good for you for cancelling your membership and doing what you like πŸ™‚

01.15.14 · Reply
  7. You can stream a lot of free work out videos on Hulu! I got my mom hooked on them and she ended up canceling her gym membership too and does them. They go by so fast and leave her rejuvenated!

8. Grace says:

I’ve got a gym membership that I love, but I’m also all about those workout videos at home! Jillian Michaels can seriously kick my butt! Great list, girl!

• Kendi Lea says:

You are the person I envy! I wish I loved the gym, but it is seriously like pulling teeth to get me there πŸ™‚ Teach me your ways!

• Grace says:

Nah girl! Do what’s best for you! I’ve got a husband that forces me to wake up and go, so my advice is to get a gym buddy! But if you’d rather stay away from all those crazy gym gurus who seem to know everything about all that intimidating gym equipment and proper workout methods (not me!), then I say stick to good ol’ Jillian Michaels and living room yoga! πŸ™‚

9. Natali says:

Get outside and workout videos are fantastic idea! I also love to do the Dance Central on my xbox.

10. Jessica Campion says:

I love this! I agree that it’s about finding movement that works for you, and there’s no rule stating you have to go to a gym to be active. One of my favorite resources lately is Yoga Download where you can pay for yoga classes to download at home or there are a bunch of shorter, free classes! I’ve always done the free classes, but I just signed up for the monthly membership which is still cheaper than classes at a studio.

• Kendi Lea says:

I’ve never heard to that so thank you for recommending it! I’ll have to check it out πŸ™‚

11. Code Overdressed says:

Workout videos are my fave, I just can’t stand getting myself everyday to the gym. While turning on my computer is faster and just cheaper. You look so cute in your active wear!

Cee. β™₯
    Code Overdressed

12. Dosta Radnjanska says:

Loving the sneakers

>>>WIN Canon Ixus<<<

13. Dana says:

super cute look – gym clothes are my favorite!

14. Agi says:

For me it’s hard to get motivated if i stay at home and try and do workouts. I think it doesn’t help that my husband works from home and i have a 4.5 yr old. I needed to get back to yoga to help fix my back and it’s been a good thing. The way I look at it is that it’s my me time. It’s time for me just for me.

vodkainfusedlemonade.com

15. Katie says:

I have been thinking about cancelling my gym membership too! I’d much rather run outside or just do body weight exercises/yoga at home. I think I’m going to follow suit and cancel mine today.

seewhatkatiewears.com

16. Stylish Housewife says:

HA! I still do my Carmen Electra “fit to strip” (although no stripping is involved) workout videos. But I’ve been dying to try Tracy Anderson for YEARS. I see a youtube search in my near future. Or an ebay video search. LOL.

XOXO, Jenn
    The Stylish Housewife

01.15.14 · Reply
  17. Those were expensive once-a-month workouts when I had a gym membership, haha. Between running and videos, I do most of my working out from home now – and I LOVE Jillian Michaels! She’s borderline annoying, but her workouts (especially when you stack two together) seriously kick butt!

01.15.14 · Reply
  18. This is a great post! I’m avid about fitness and I always tell people who ask me for advice to do what you enjoy. That’s the only way to sustain your healthy lifestyle. Agree, it’s a twofold equation to stay healthy.

NEW OUTFIT POST:: DREAM

01.15.14 · Reply
  19. Jillian Michaels is amazing, and I’m really impressed with the Tone It Up girls, too, who have short but effective videos! – J

20. Hannah Thomas says:

This is all so true. Definitely need to use these easier resources to get healthy.

Thanks Kendi!

01.15.14 · Reply
  21. Love this post… being healthy involves a lot more than just going to the gym a couple times a week for me! Mentally healthy is so much more important and sometimes going outside and getting some fresh air while being active is just the trick!
    Classy Chic & Chardonnay

22. Jessica Broyles says:

Being a personal trainer, I absolutely love this post! πŸ™‚

23. Summer says:

Kendi, you should check out the Katy Trail in Dallas sometime. There are always TONS of rollerbladers! I keep saying I’m going to buy a pair again, but I haven’t yet. Also, Body Rock TV has relatively short (12ish minute) videos that are free and only require simple equipment!

24. jessica says:

I love Tracy Anderson and have purchased 4 of her “videos” in DVD form. I feel they are completely worth the money spent, they’ve changed my body. I also do the 30 day challenges that can be found on Pinterest. At the moment I’m doing one of the ab challenges and have done the squat challenge. I agree, Kendi, a gym is not necessary, hike, bike, walk, run, yoga, dance…

• dlmslp says:

yay, another tracy fan! she changes bodies. you put in the work, you get the results. love tracy!

01.17.14 · Reply
  25. Pinterest workouts can be so rigorous it feels like you went to the gym!

26. Mandy Pennington says:

Lately I have been loving the Nike Training Club App. It doesn’t require much equipment and it works well!

27. Kelly Jo says:

My gym membership ended this month and I’m so glad because I never went and felt guilty about every.single.day. My plan once the weather gets better here in MI is to do lots of hiking. And Yoga is something I’ve been interested in trying but for some reason it totally intimidates me, not sure why. Going to check out your yoga pins for sure!

28. Vicky says:

I’m also anti-gym and I love it! I really do think it makes the day feel less compartmentalized and as a result incorporates the healthy activities into a seamless lifestyle. Love Tracy Anderson for some killer arm workouts but my all time favorite home-workout go to’s are Amanda Russell (https://www.youtube.com/user/AmandaRussell) and Sadie Nardini (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLSQBQRHN4nGGfqCK0uYYw)!

01.15.14 · Reply
  29. T25 or insanity are awesome workouts. also bodyrock.tv has great ones too. everyone should try to be a little healthier every day πŸ™‚

Xo,

Belen

http://www.androbel.com (shop & blog)

30. jan miguel says:

I looove workout videos! But my favorite one is the 30 Day Shred πŸ™‚

JanLoves

31. lillypea says:

I have Amazon Prime, and I am a workout video addict and I NEVER thought to check there for anything free. You are brilliant! I’ve been thinking about purchasing a pair of ON compression pants; do you like them?

• Tiffany Bolton says:

I live in my ON compression tights. They make AWESOME leggings (not too shiny!). Now that i am 8 months pregnant, I went up 2 sizes and they are my fave for maternity.

32. Elisa Taviti says:

Nice idea my dear! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

My Fantabulous World

33. Allison Carla Charles says:

Great post!!!!

34. Hope Howland says:

Oh I didn’t even think of Amazon Prime!! That’s awesome, thanks for sharing and I love love love those sneakers!
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

35. bklover says:

I just discovered all the workout videos on YouTube and am hooked – great for mornings I don’t feel like going to the gym. I did a Jillian Michael’s workout this morning but also love PopPilates! You should def check it out… can’t wait to try all my amazon prime videos!!!

36. Angela says:

nice. i too will cancel my gum membership. i like all of the above much better, great post.

• Angela says:

**gym (oops)

37. Meredith P says:

I’ve been a prime member for years and never known about the workout videos! You just blew my mind!!! Thanks! I have those pants and I wear them constantly BTW! They work great as heavier leggings!

38. Kimberly Ann says:

Love this! It’s seriously a HUGE struggle to get to the gym everyday, so these are great ideas!

Kim

39. pretty little things says:

I love using my work out VIDEOS! and to date myself even more, one of my favorites is still Jane Fonda’s from the 80’s! she knew what was up!!

01.15.14 · Reply
  40. I’m definitely not a gym girl and I know I will never be. But finding something that works is all that matters. For me, it’s been having workout friends that help keep me accountable to getting to yoga class. But you’ve listed some good at home alternatives!
    xo Adri

41. rhiannon says:

great post! thanks so much for sharing.

42. Leslie says:

I always try to go on a evening walk after dinner. I hate gyms and would rather do other things to stay active.

01.15.14 · Reply
  43. I’ve had two common excuses for not exercising recently: 1. I graduated in May, and my life is still doing flips around my every attempt at routine, and I keep pegging it as something “get to later.” and 2. it’s so freaking cold, always, possibly forever.

Basically, I’m full of it. Thanks for the yoga pages and work out video suggestions! It really just might be time to suck it up.

44. Alice says:

I love this… sometimes I wear workout clothes when I am not even working out but just so I can wear them grocery shopping. I’m sure people are just impressed that I just ‘worked out’. Little do they know….

45. Q says:

Cute kicks your wearing.

46. Brittany Knight says:

My favorite pair of workout pants are from Old Navy – and they're even in a cute pattern (Don't tell Nike, cause I have theirs too)! Also, ALL of my friends rollerblade. It's so fun… and totally coming back.

47. ygulchina says:

I like this post. I feel like this is about the time one (ahem, me) gives up on the "getting healthy" resolution, but writing down what you can do and why you enjoy it is a great way to stay on track. Good job!

48. chelseaandthecity says:

Chelsea & The City

01.15.14 · Reply
  49. I always try to do yoga at home (total newb here), but I'm always afraid I am doing somethign really wrong. one of my resolutions this year is to attend a couple classes and then start doing it at home (more cost effective)!

Great tips!

The Curly Casualista

01.15.14 · Reply
  50. There are so many great ways to be active that don't involve going to the gym!! Good for you for cancelling your membership and doing what you like πŸ™‚

51. Supal says:

01.15.14 · Reply
  52. I've got a gym membership that I love, but I'm also all about those workout videos at home! Jillian Michaels can seriously kick my butt! Great list, girl!

53. Kendi Lea says:

54. Natali says:

55. Kendi Lea says:

56. Jessica Campion says:

I love this! I agree that it's about finding movement that works for you, and there's no rule stating you have to go to a gym to be active. One of my favorite resources lately is Yoga Download where you can pay for yoga classes to download at home or there are a bunch of shorter, free classes! I've always done the free classes, but I just signed up for the monthly membership which is still cheaper than classes at a studio.

57. Kendi Lea says:

58. Kendi Lea says:

I've never heard to that so thank you for recommending it! I'll have to check it out πŸ™‚

59. Code Overdressed says:

Workout videos are my fave, I just can't stand getting myself everyday to the gym. While turning on my computer is faster and just cheaper. You look so cute in your active wear!

Cee. β™₯
    Code Overdressed

60. Dosta Radnjanska says:

Loving the sneakers

>>>WIN Canon Ixus<<<

61. Dana says:

super cute look – gym clothes are my favorite!

62. Agi says:

For me it's hard to get motivated if i stay at home and try and do workouts. I think it doesn't help that my husband works from home and i have a 4.5 yr old. I needed to get back to yoga to help fix my back and it's been a good thing. The way I look at it is that it's my me time. It's time for me just for me.

vodkainfusedlemonade.com

63. Katie says:

I have been thinking about cancelling my gym membership too! I'd much rather run outside or just do body weight exercises/yoga at home. I think I'm going to follow suit and cancel mine today.

seewhatkatiewears.com

64. Stylish Housewife says:

HA! I still do my Carmen Electra "fit to strip" (although no stripping is involved) workout videos. But I've been dying to try Tracy Anderson for YEARS. I see a youtube search in my near future. Or an ebay video search. LOL.

XOXO, Jenn
    The Stylish Housewife

01.15.14 · Reply
  65. Nah girl! Do what's best for you! I've got a husband that forces me to wake up and go, so my advice is to get a gym buddy! But if you'd rather stay away from all those crazy gym gurus who seem to know everything about all that intimidating gym equipment and proper workout methods (not me!), then I say stick to good ol' Jillian Michaels and living room yoga! πŸ™‚

01.15.14 · Reply
  66. Those were expensive once-a-month workouts when I had a gym membership, haha. Between running and videos, I do most of my working out from home now – and I LOVE Jillian Michaels! She's borderline annoying, but her workouts (especially when you stack two together) seriously kick butt!

01.15.14 · Reply
  67. This is a great post! I'm avid about fitness and I always tell people who ask me for advice to do what you enjoy. That's the only way to sustain your healthy lifestyle. Agree, it's a twofold equation to stay healthy.

NEW OUTFIT POST:: DREAM

01.15.14 · Reply
  68. Jillian Michaels is amazing, and I'm really impressed with the Tone It Up girls, too, who have short but effective videos! – J

69. Ginger says:

For some variation try Barre3 online workouts for a change of pace!

70. Rebecca says:

All you need is toneitup.com they provide you with a workout schedule every Sunday and fun challenges that last about a month each time. They’ve kept me exercising for over a year now!

71. Hannah Thomas says:

Thanks Kendi!

72. Classy Chic & Chardonnay says:

Classy Chic & Chardonnay

73. Carly says:

I recently found Fitness Blender and really like it for at home workouts. It’s free and they have lots of different workout styles and lengths so you can customize it. Also, I’ve been using yogadownloads.com for years and love their classes.

• Ally says:

I came to the comments just to mention Fitness Blender! I love their videos so much. They explain each move clearly, have a great variety of videos and I like that they don’t put their own music so you can add yours. The Nike Training Club app is great, too. And the Yoga Studio app is the best yoga app I’ve found that best mimics a studio experience, IMO. I’m all about the working out at home lately!

01.23.14 · Reply
  74. Jessica Broyles says:

Being a personal trainer, I absolutely love this post! πŸ™‚

75. Monique says:

I have those exact pants. Got them a few months ago. I love them and typically wear them just for errands. I actually have a few pairs of running tights from Old Navy and they are the best. For the price they are a good quality.

I also thought of joining the gym but decided to stick to at home workouts from Pinterest and running. Once the time change I’m going to go back to this free boot camp that meet in my area. You can check meetup.com for free workout or running clubs in your area.

76. Summer says:

Kendi, you should check out the Katy Trail in Dallas sometime. There are always TONS of rollerbladers! I keep saying I'm going to buy a pair again, but I haven't yet. Also, Body Rock TV has relatively short (12ish minute) videos that are free and only require simple equipment!

77. Lioness says:

I’m so glad to have read this post. I’m working on the healthy lifestyle too and one of the drastic things I’m doing is get rid of my trainer at the end of the month. There are too many Pinterest workouts and youtube videos to justify paying a trainer 50 bucks a session. I agree though, the sexier I feel in my workout clothes, the more motivated I get so the harder I work. That is what I call a win-win.

78. jessica says:

I love Tracy Anderson and have purchased 4 of her "videos" in DVD form. I feel they are completely worth the money spent, they've changed my body. I also do the 30 day challenges that can be found on Pinterest. At the moment I'm doing one of the ab challenges and have done the squat challenge. I agree, Kendi, a gym is not necessary, hike, bike, walk, run, yoga, dance…

01.15.14 · Reply
  79. Pinterest workouts can be so rigorous it feels like you went to the gym!

80. Mandy Pennington says:

Lately I have been loving the Nike Training Club App. It doesn't require much equipment and it works well!

81. tamara says:

Awesome post! I am feeling a little spent-out from the holidays, so I've been running and using workout YouTube videos to get in shape before joining a gym in a few months. (Another good, and kind of sneaky tip is to do trial memberships at gyms in your area–I am actually trying to find a new gym in my area, but you have to deal with sales pitches and a follow-up call or two!) Ha!

82. Kelly Jo says:

My gym membership ended this month and I'm so glad because I never went and felt guilty about every.single.day. My plan once the weather gets better here in MI is to do lots of hiking. And Yoga is something I've been interested in trying but for some reason it totally intimidates me, not sure why. Going to check out your yoga pins for sure!

83. Vicky says:

I'm also anti-gym and I love it! I really do think it makes the day feel less compartmentalized and as a result incorporates the healthy activities into a seamless lifestyle. Love Tracy Anderson for some killer arm workouts but my all time favorite home-workout go to's are Amanda Russell (https://www.youtube.com/user/AmandaRussell) and Sadie Nardini (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLSQBQRHN4nGGfqCK0uYYw)!

84. dlmslp says:

Tracy Anderson is an ass kicker. She whipped my butt into shape. Her workouts WORK. The switching every 10 days is key and like you I love her arms. My favorite arm workouts ever.

• Kendi Lea says:

I’ve done her arms workouts before (not religiously because she is a hard ass) but I just bought her metamorphosis series. I’m a bit intimidated to start because I know how hard it will be. #prayforme

• dlmslp says:

you will do fine:) i love meta though it’s hard. i wasn’t strict about it, but i did aim for 6 days a week. i didn’t follow her meal plan (i eat what i want within reason) or her cardio (i hate bouncy dance cardio, i do my own) and i got results. i have slender arms but her workouts have been the only ones that have given me definition and i’ve done a good bit from tae-bo, body pump and pilates at gold’s, jillian workouts, you name it. only tracy worked. there are some things that bother me like how there is little to no warm up for the muscular structure work so please stretch first. i pulled a muscle in my left hip or outer thigh area last year. so now i always stretch for a several minutes before i start the workout. the reps seem insane at first, but you will get stronger. when i first started, i couldn’t do 40 straight reps on one leg. i would do 20 and switch legs which allowed me to stay with her. eventually i could do 40 or close to it on one leg. she cues very little so another thing i do is repeat the first side she does because she cues more on the first leg. i will rewind it and switch legs so i don’t have to be constantly looking up to see if she has switched exercises. OH, i also use knee pads on my yoga mat because i am a pansy with weak knees. LOL! wow, this program sounds so appealing now. i still love tracy and i hope you will too. good luck kendi:)

• jessica says:

I also use knee pads, I spent $450 at an orthopedist due to excessive inflammation to the point of not being able to bend my leg, which was mostly caused by a previous running habit. She is brutal but it truly is worth it! I don’t do her dance cardio either (knee) but her muscular structure work it the only thing I do, I refuse to have saggy skin when I’m old. I do 5-6 days a week and change my DVDs (I have 4) after 10 of the same workout and add leg weights as needed. I haven’t done meta and doubt I will, I’m getting enough results and really just need to maintain.

01.21.14 · Reply
  85. Androbel says:

Xo,

Belen

http://www.androbel.com (shop & blog)

86. Lindsey says:

I was just coming to make this same comment. NTC is the best! The workouts are killer and you can can customize by length, type of work, area you want to work, etc. I love that app.

87. jan miguel says:

I looove workout videos! But my favorite one is the 30 Day Shred πŸ™‚

JanLoves

88. lillypea says:

I have Amazon Prime, and I am a workout video addict and I NEVER thought to check there for anything free. You are brilliant! I've been thinking about purchasing a pair of ON compression pants; do you like them?

89. Elisa Taviti says:

Nice idea my dear! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

My Fantabulous World

90. Allison Carla Charles says:

Great post!!!!

91. Hope Howland says:

Oh I didn't even think of Amazon Prime!! That's awesome, thanks for sharing and I love love love those sneakers!
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

92. bklover says:

I just discovered all the workout videos on YouTube and am hooked – great for mornings I don't feel like going to the gym. I did a Jillian Michael's workout this morning but also love PopPilates! You should def check it out… can't wait to try all my amazon prime videos!!!

93. Tiffany Bolton says:

94. Angela says:

95. Angela says:

**gym (oops)

96. Meredith P says:

I've been a prime member for years and never known about the workout videos! You just blew my mind!!! Thanks! I have those pants and I wear them constantly BTW! They work great as heavier leggings!

97. Kimberly Ann says:

Love this! It's seriously a HUGE struggle to get to the gym everyday, so these are great ideas!

Kim

98. pretty little things says:

I love using my work out VIDEOS! and to date myself even more, one of my favorites is still Jane Fonda's from the 80's! she knew what was up!!

99. Katie McC says:

Old Navy has some cute workout clothes! Some of my faves are from there. I am the same way with gyms. The only reason I went to the gym in college was because it was free. Normally I’d rather run outside, hike or do an exercise video- which I did a lot of. Recently I started at a place called Trinity Fitness and it’s a non-profit crossfit type workout. Very short, high-intensity workouts with lots of cardio and minimal weight lifting. It’s gotten me into probably the strongest shape I have ever been in and the environment is so encouraging and does not ever feel like I am going to the gym.

01.15.14 · Reply
  100. I'm definitely not a gym girl and I know I will never be. But finding something that works is all that matters. For me, it's been having workout friends that help keep me accountable to getting to yoga class. But you've listed some good at home alternatives!
    xo Adri

101. rhiannon says:

great post! thanks so much for sharing.

102. Leslie says:

103. Jenna Kristine says:

I've had two common excuses for not exercising recently: 1. I graduated in May, and my life is still doing flips around my every attempt at routine, and I keep pegging it as something "get to later." and 2. it's so freaking cold, always, possibly forever.

Basically, I'm full of it. Thanks for the yoga pages and work out video suggestions! It really just might be time to suck it up.

104. Alice says:

I love this… sometimes I wear workout clothes when I am not even working out but just so I can wear them grocery shopping. I'm sure people are just impressed that I just 'worked out'. Little do they know….

105. Ginger says:

For some variation try Barre3 online workouts for a change of pace!

106. Rebecca says:

All you need is toneitup.com they provide you with a workout schedule every Sunday and fun challenges that last about a month each time. They've kept me exercising for over a year now!

107. Carly says:

I recently found Fitness Blender and really like it for at home workouts. It's free and they have lots of different workout styles and lengths so you can customize it. Also, I've been using yogadownloads.com for years and love their classes.

108. lauren tien says:

I have been doing Jillian’s workout on prime because i think she’s a badass too, and I totally have that same arm envy. Oh Jillian! I’ve been doing her yoga, problem areas, and ab workouts (sometimes only half of one, which is about 30 minutes) for about a month now and i’m hooked–plus I feel stronger (maybe not quite her arms, but hey) πŸ™‚ I’ve also found purchasing a jump rope and doing that outside is a good little fresh air butt kicker.

109. you’re looking cute as usual! love the shoes

110. Monique says:

I also thought of joining the gym but decided to stick to at home workouts from Pinterest and running. Once the time change I'm going to go back to this free boot camp that meet in my area. You can check meetup.com for free workout or running clubs in your area.

111. Lioness says:

I'm so glad to have read this post. I'm working on the healthy lifestyle too and one of the drastic things I'm doing is get rid of my trainer at the end of the month. There are too many Pinterest workouts and youtube videos to justify paying a trainer 50 bucks a session. I agree though, the sexier I feel in my workout clothes, the more motivated I get so the harder I work. That is what I call a win-win.

112. dlmslp says:

113. Katie McC says:

Old Navy has some cute workout clothes! Some of my faves are from there. I am the same way with gyms. The only reason I went to the gym in college was because it was free. Normally I'd rather run outside, hike or do an exercise video- which I did a lot of. Recently I started at a place called Trinity Fitness and it's a non-profit crossfit type workout. Very short, high-intensity workouts with lots of cardio and minimal weight lifting. It's gotten me into probably the strongest shape I have ever been in and the environment is so encouraging and does not ever feel like I am going to the gym.

114. lauren tien says:

I have been doing Jillian's workout on prime because i think she's a badass too, and I totally have that same arm envy. Oh Jillian! I've been doing her yoga, problem areas, and ab workouts (sometimes only half of one, which is about 30 minutes) for about a month now and i'm hooked–plus I feel stronger (maybe not quite her arms, but hey) πŸ™‚ I've also found purchasing a jump rope and doing that outside is a good little fresh air but kicker.

115. Kelsey Wilburn says:

you're looking cute as usual! love the shoes

116. Sasa Zoe says:

It’s so comfy and cozy. You still look amazing<3

117. Nikki says:

haha, so true about wearing workout clothes as an excuse to be comfy!

xxoo,
    nikki

118. macrain says:

You know what is amazing for long walks, in a way that will actually make you look forward to them? Audio books. Trust.

119. Jenifer says:

You forgot prancercise!! It’s totally free and totally fabulous!

• Kendi Lea says:

HOW could I forget Prancercise?! Thank God you brought that one up. πŸ˜‰

120. Sasa Zoe says:

It's so comfy and cozy. You still look amazing<3

121. nikki says:

haha, so true about wearing workout clothes as an excuse to be comfy!

xxoo,
    nikki

122. macrain says:

123. Jenifer says:

You forgot prancercise!! It's totally free and totally fabulous!

124. jojo says:

So sorry to tell you this, but as a nutritionist by hobby, I will tell you that what you think is healthy food may in all actuality be UNHEALTHY. The fda does not regulate food like they should. Americans are the most sick now then they ever have been.

125. Kendi Lea says:

HOW could I forget Prancercise?! Thank God you brought that one up. πŸ˜‰

126. Kendi Lea says:

Brilliance!

127. Kendi Lea says:

I've done her arms workouts before (not religiously because she is a hard ass) but I just bought her metamorphosis series. I'm a bit intimidated to start because I know how hard it will be. #prayforme

128. Kendi Lea says:

Rollerblades FTW!!!

129. Jill says:

As soon as I quit the gym, changed my diet (more water, fruits and veggies, less dairy, sugar and carbs) and started doing yoga (like the vinyasa kind) and walking more outdoors, I got in better, leaner, stronger shape than I have ever been and my skin and overall health improved too. To be honest, running just made me hungry and I ended up making poor food choices. You are on the right track. Just keep a healthy diet and move – that is the key.

130. dlmslp says:

you will do fine:) i love meta though it's hard. i wasn't strict about it, but i did aim for 6 days a week. i didn't follow her meal plan (i eat what i want within reason) or her cardio (i hate bouncy dance cardio, i do my own) and i got results. i have slender arms but her workouts have been the only ones that have given me definition and i've done a good bit from tae-bo, body pump and pilates at gold's, jillian workouts, you name it. only tracy worked. there are some things that bother me like how there is little to no warm up for the muscular structure work so please stretch first. i pulled a muscle in my left hip or outer thigh area last year. so now i always stretch for a several minutes before i start the workout. the reps seem insane at first, but you will get stronger. when i first started, i couldn't do 40 straight reps on one leg. i would do 20 and switch legs which allowed me to stay with her. eventually i could do 40 or close to it on one leg. she cues very little so another thing i do is repeat the first side she does because she cues more on the first leg. i will rewind it and switch legs so i don't have to be constantly looking up to see if she has switched exercises. OH, i also use knee pads on my yoga mat because i am a pansy with weak knees. LOL! wow, this program sounds so appealing now. i still love tracy and i hope you will too. good luck kendi:)

131. dlmslp says:

132. Jill says:

133. Jill says:

This is a great yoga site http://www.ekhartyoga.com

134. Kelly says:

Dude. Rollerblading is the shit. I love rollerblading in the summer, it’s such a great workout, and can get you seeing the city easily!

01.19.14 · Reply
  135. EnterKelly says:

Dude. Rollerblading is the shit. I love rollerblading in the summer, it's such a great workout, and can get you seeing the city easily!

01.19.14 · Reply
  136. jessica says:

I also use knee pads, I spent $450 at an orthopedist due to excessive inflammation to the point of not being able to bend my leg, which was mostly caused by a previous running habit. She is brutal but it truly is worth it! I don't do her dance cardio either (knee) but her muscular structure work it the only thing I do, I refuse to have saggy skin when I'm old. I do 5-6 days a week and change my DVDs (I have 4) after 10 of the same workout and add leg weights as needed. I haven't done meta and doubt I will, I'm getting enough results and really just need to maintain.

01.22.14 · Reply
  137. Rachel says:

I feel like such a goober, I have had Amazon Prime for so long and didn’t realize they have fitness videos on instant video. THANK YOU!

01.22.14 · Reply
  138. Rachel says:

I feel like such a goober, I have had Amazon Prime for so long and didn't realize they have fitness videos on instant video. THANK YOU!

01.22.14 · Reply
  139. Ally says:

I came to the comments just to mention Fitness Blender! I love their videos so much. They explain each move clearly, have a great variety of videos and I like that they don't put their own music so you can add yours. The Nike Training Club app is great, too. And the Yoga Studio app is the best yoga app I've found that best mimics a studio experience, IMO. I'm all about the working out at home lately!

01.23.14 · Reply
  140. Rollerblading is totally in!

01.26.14 · Reply
  141. Megan Russell says:

Rollerblading is totally in!

01.26.14 · Reply
  142. Love the look and fully support the anti-gym stance! We’ve been preaching the same no-BS approach – http://wellnesshackers.club/fitness-lies/

08.26.15 · Reply