faking it: j.crew style

3.22.10blog
3.22.10
3.22.10
3.22.10
3.22.10
3.22.10

There are three things I need to say about this outfit. First I’m wearing pants. This is a very rare for me here on my blog. Besides jeans, I don’t really wear pants that often. It’s usually a skirt or nothing at all. (The Nothing At All site hasn’t gone live yet.) I’ve been seeing pants all over this spring and decided to give these capris a whirl. Capris of all pants too. I know, I know — I’m just so unpredictable.
Two, I felt a bit Stepford wife-ish or like I should belong to a country club. I was trying to go for a “J.Crew on the cheap” look. It’s always good to remind my employers that I don’t always dress like a 14 year old girl. I think I succeeded in my homage to j.crew, but I still felt like I needed a martini, a long cigarette and some small town gossip to spread. I also made my husband chauffeur me around today while I lounged in the back seat of our town car. It’s a tough life.
Three, I should be applauded for not falling down in those heels today. It was their first day out on the town and I pretty much just shuffled around. Shuffled as in I might as well have been wearing roller blades, because that’s what it looked like I was doing. I’ve always prided myself on being able to walk well in heels, but these guys with their tiny 3 inch heel presented a challenge. But they were cheap and I’m always up for a good challenge.
I also need some light praise for this photo shoot today. I’m normally very private with our shoots and I prefer to do them in places where no one will see us. (I’m terrified of people asking me what I’m doing. You should hear the excuses I’ve come up with just in case we get asked. School project, I’m a tourist, or the old “we got lost” routine…) Well not only was this shop downtown where many people were around but I got honked at, waved to and someone asked Bryan to take their picture as well. Somewhere in between starting this blog and now I’ve lost all self-awareness. And that’s a very good thing.

1. merly k says:

you must have literally JUST posted this since I'm usually #15-20 on your list of comments..

-love the flower broach
    -with a bottom half like that, you should wear pants more often (lot creepier when I read that than when I said it in my head)
    -honks are a driver's way of saying "hey you! ya YOU! looking tasty" because they are obviously going too fast to say it themselves, and (hopefully) are too far away to be heard.

03.23.10 · Reply
  2. Yay for feeling comfortable at your photoshoot ๐Ÿ™‚ I definitely think it looks JCrew (but on the cheap—thank goodness). I have that F21 belt and am now wishing I had the flower! I do want a nice pair o' khakis or cropped ones…would be a great "work wardrobe" addition.

3. Meaghan says:

This is a great look on you! I love the classic pieces and the "J.Crew on the cheap" idea!

Love your photo shoots!

4. Angeline says:

Love this look! The capris are so adorable on you, and a crisp buttondown shirt is always so classic.

03.23.10 · Reply
  5. I am not playing when I say that this is awesome! I love the accessibility of it and it looks very quality. Bravo on the flower pin!

I'm not much of a pants person either but I do notice it is huge for the Spring!

Bravo on your look!

03.23.10 · Reply
  6. Looks great- as usual! I love the color of the brick/stone of that building next to your outfit.

7. !Tb0n3! says:

Stepford wife-ish meets Sex and the City! I don't know why all of the sudden I have Carrie Bradshaw in my head after seeing your outfit.

03.23.10 · Reply
  8. Many congratulations on both pants and braving the public.

03.23.10 · Reply
  9. I was so excited when I Saw pants! ๐Ÿ™‚ You look fantastic. This outfit is amazing on you. x

10. Amber says:

omg LOL! "The Nothing At All site hasn't gone live yet" you rock it!!

03.23.10 · Reply
  11. I love this look! I have a hard time with pants (non jeans) too. I feel like they just look blah on me.

You are rocking this look, and the shoes are adorable.

03.23.10 · Reply
  12. This is a different look for you, but I think you pull it off! And that is so funny that you say that about taking blog photos in public. I am still really shy about that and wouldn't dream of posing in a busy part of town. Maybe I'll take a page from your book and go for it this week.

13. closet365 says:

Very pretty! I love it.

I have used the school project excuse. But most of the time I just stand around pretending to take pictures of other things until the coast is clear and then hop in front of the camera.

I'm getting braver though. I agree that the loss of self-awareness is refreshing.

03.23.10 · Reply
  14. yay for feeling alright taking pics wherever you want!!

15. Shelby says:

you are really funny. i love the "small town gossip to spread" quib!

16. Amanda says:

Haha! I always have excuses planned when I take photos in public too! Maybe I'll borrow some of yours now…

17. Karen says:

Great outfit, I love the pearls and flower! Well I appauld you, I've just started my own blog and pictures are taken strictly in the confinds of my room! Plus I don't have anyone willing to take them in the great outdoors. Keep up the good work x

03.23.10 · Reply
  18. You could do some mean business in that, I think the suits would swoon over how cool you look.

03.23.10 · Reply
  19. I'm familiar with taking photos where nobody sees me… :))
    That's why all of my photos are made indoors, in my bedroom or anywhere else in the house… ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I should get some courage and step outside… And convince my boyfriend to take some pictures… ๐Ÿ™‚
    Btw, this is a really nice work outfit! I think it would go well with my co-workers as well… I am usually the only one who sometimes dresses "weird" at work… meaning not wearing only pants/jeans and blouse/shirt… but actually adding a large piece of jewelry, a corsage or a bow in my hear…
    Sometimes, I'm in very similar situation as you are (not only at work, but also in my hometown – which is a very, very, very small place and everyone knows everyone and god forbid you dress somewhat unusual… ;))
    but I don't care anymore…
    And this is why your blog is so fun reading – so keep up the good work!
    And come visit me sometimes at butterfly307
    Hugs…

20. Melanie says:

Oh, yes, so JCrew catalog. I dig it!!

21. Pamela says:

Love the outfit! If I weren't already dressed this morning I seriously would change and recreate it myself! LOVE IT! I may end up putting a similar look together tomorrow. It just seems so effortless.

I love your outfit poses. You always have the best locations.

03.23.10 · Reply
  22. who knew capri khakis could look so cool? actually today i am wearing some pants myself, even though pants aren't really my thing. they're surprisingly comfortable.
    your bravery inspires me. i am such a chicken when it comes to photo taking.

23. Anonymous says:

I like your blog for the freshness of the photos and poses and clothes. Keep up the great work!

03.23.10 · Reply
  24. So cute. I'm not much of a pants wearer myself, but I like how you've done it. I've still not concurred my fear of public photo taking, not because of passersby, but because I'm embarrassed to ask my husband!

25. Dip-tea says:

I once wore the same outfit (minus the brooch and the pants were longer) and walked into Wal-mart which has the nearest subway I can walk to. Ah the horror! I was surrounded with Wal-mart employees in the same combo. I didn't realize it until a sweet old lady walked up to me and asked where she could find toilet paper. Oh well.

26. Lexie says:

i have definitely used the "i'm working a photo project…" excuse a couple of times! it's not that far from the truth!

i like this look a lot! preppy, but high high heels keep it from looking too stepford-y.

27. Liz says:

I love all of the accent pieces! The flower, neckalces, and shades give your outfit that extra J.Crew touch ๐Ÿ™‚

28. Sal says:

Marvelous in every way. And allow me to heap praise on you for the shoot – what a gorgeous setting for this sassy ensemble.

Oh, and I'm a die hard skirt girl, too.

03.23.10 · Reply
  29. lovin this polished look. the flower is the perfect touch! I have one of my own I have been forgetting about it. Looks like its time to dust it off ๐Ÿ™‚ You look fab.

xo, Kim http://www.crowded-closet.com

30. izzyg says:

Just wanted to say I love your blog – its on my first checks every morning at work ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm taking style tips from you every day!

03.23.10 · Reply
  31. Very J. Crew-ish and I love those pants on you!

03.23.10 · Reply
  32. Looks great! I have been looking for a pair of pants like that to fit into my wardrobe. And now I am going to be looking even more fervently.

Great outfit!

33. myedit says:

ooooo… small town gossip? Tell me more! I actually have a bone carved cigarette holder that would go very well with this gorgeous ensemble. You look bitchin'… wow, I can't believe I just wrote that.

03.23.10 · Reply
  34. Love your outfit! I used to work at J.Crew and you are totally following all the rules ๐Ÿ™‚

03.23.10 · Reply
  35. This Jcrew look on the cheap is rockin'! ๐Ÿ™‚ You look totally chic and sophisticated! Love it!

36. Kathleen says:

You look amazing! I adore this outfit (probably because I am from prep school/country club/Stepford Wife country in Edina, MN where this something I would wear all the time) and the gorgeous capris! You should seriously wear pants more because you rocked these, doll face!

And extra kudos for not falling over! The shoes are fierce and I now want some just like that…but since my Dad says I was born in heels I probably should hold off from buying more since I have a ton!

03.23.10 · Reply
  37. You look very country club yet not at all stuffy! I love the flower and congrats on not falling in the heels!

38. Inรฉs says:

Love your style and your blog

03.23.10 · Reply
  39. Love this! You are so gorgeous.

p.s. don't forget to enter my Peruvian Feather Earring GIVEAWAY at itssimplelove.blogspot.com

Rachael

03.23.10 · Reply
  40. Cool blog! I love your simple and classic style!

B* a la Moda

41. lady lee says:

You make me lol girl!

03.23.10 · Reply
  42. pants are so, so hard to get a fit right! but you look awesome. very j.crew indeed. the only thing mayyyybe stepford about this is the heels combined with the pearls. but i also think that's what keeps it hot. gotta have a little sizzle somewhere until the Nothing site goes live, right?

and, uh, definitely not a public photo taker. probably won't be anytime soon, either. ๐Ÿ™‚

43. Caroline says:

Hahaha! I love it! J. Crew is one of my absolute favorite stores, but I usually head straight toward the sale rack. They can be a bit pricey! And yes I usually do all of my photo shoots on my back porch or in my yard where no one can see me! I agree it can be rather embarassing. But you have inspired me. Maybe I'll start taking my camera to town…

03.24.10 · Reply
  44. I lovee this look! I need to try pants like this – I just can never pull off capri's with my stub legs! You look amazing!

03.24.10 · Reply
  45. I always try to take pictures where noboby can see me too! And when they ask I always say "graduation photos". It's probably better for you because you have a man taking them, not a tripod. It comes off less self-absorbed I'm sure. haha.

Happy posting!

03.24.10 · Reply
  46. I love the flower pin, its tres cute. And the capris make you look s o o tall! They look great and I wish I owned a pair, or could steal yours (that would be cheaper). Unfortunately they have the opposite effect on me. And being 5'4 can't get much shorter, otherwise people just start stepping on me.

03.24.10 · Reply
  47. sharonlei says:

I think this look is very Carrie Bradshaw-esque.. Season two or three where she wore huge flowers with everything!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Love it!!

xx Love & Aloha

03.25.10 · Reply
  48. 1. I was about to say I resent the fourteen year old girl comment, but then I realized that I do dress like you. Not you dressing like me. I dress like you. A little. I hope I do, that would make me feel pretty good, haha.
    2. Oh, I'm digging this outfit, as well.
    3. Photography here? Frigging aces.
    And that is all.
    โ™ฅ

03.26.10 · Reply
  49. Nishant says:

data entry work from home

03.31.10 · Reply