“Your Legs Look Weird” and other compliments from my co-workers

2.1.10 blog

2.1.10
2.1.10
2.1.10
Sunshine came in the form of my legs today. It was cold and rainy and down-right miserable outside. So why not spread a little color love, right?
Well apparently I’ve met my wardrobe risk threshold with the co-workers. I got compliments in the form of insults today, including but not limited to:
“Your legs look weird.”
“Did you really buy those?”
“I thought that was your skin and then I thought you were sick.”
When people give me backhanded compliments, I always like to make them work for the insult. Some people today mentioned the tights, I just acted like I didn’t know what they were talking about. If they committed to the insult, then they needed to follow through. I felt kind of mean watching my co-workers stammer on and on trying to find the right words. But just because it’s something they wouldn’t wear, doesn’t give them the right to insult or even comment. Oh well. In the wise words of my mother: haters are just gonna hate.
Next time I’ll just send out an email warning everyone in the office that I may wear bright colors.

1. Kathryn says:

I do love the yellow of those tights! I have a mustard pair that I love, but they have a slightly green undertone. These are so much less sickly looking and so much more fabulous.

02.02.10 · Reply
  2. lol this is awesome…. sometimes coworkers can be so lame… :) You look great in this outfit! I dig those tights!

3. Melrose says:

well i personally feel your tights are fabulous, and probably brought some much needed colour to an otherwise dull office.
    your coworkers sound like they didnt get enough hugs this morning.

4. ANA says:

I wore gold tights today too! My boss didn't seem to pleased, but at least he only said "those tights are really yellow." He has been commenting on my clothing more and more, I'm waiting to get taken aside for a talking to.

I think you look great, and I love that floral dress!

– Ana

02.02.10 · Reply
  5. so funny! i have some yellow tights, too, from the gap, but they are a lot shinier than this, so i look a lot like an oompa loompa dipped in oil.
    but they look so good here, and perfect with the pattern of the dress.
    i want the bravery to try again!

6. Eyeliah says:

hehe, my yellow tights got the same reaction! :)

02.02.10 · Reply
  7. It's funny, I knew they were yellow tights at first glance, but at second glance of the second picture with the way the light is, they could be mistaken for your skin (yours, not Big Birds)… just looks like a light trick or something. But then we look at your arms and remember its January…

I love this outfit.

02.02.10 · Reply
  8. I absolutely love this! That is such a pretty dress, and the tights are great! Whenever I wear my red tights, little old grandmas wink at me and smile.. and I think they think I look like a cute little girl or something! My boss once said I looked like one of those "red hat ladies"! Hahah!

02.02.10 · Reply
  9. Boo to close-minded coworkers. I think you look great — your dress is gorgeous and those tights are awesome.

– JoAnn, Sidewalk Chalk

10. Chloe says:

I love the dress. I'm a big fan of colourful tights. Luckily I go to art school so everyones very appreciative when I wear my bright orange tights and I get lots of compliments.

11. Tanya says:

Definitely a risk but I loved it. Thanks to my fave style bloggers I'm taking more risks, and I'm sure you inspired someone at work too. You might not have seen some people in the office looking up on the internet where to get colored tights too :-)

02.02.10 · Reply
  12. I like the outfoit you've pu together here!!well matched, the dress is gorgeous!!

02.02.10 · Reply
  13. oh I just hate commments like that. I am glad you made it hard for them!!! You look wonderful and I love the mustard colored tights!!!

02.02.10 · Reply
  14. They have no clue what they are talking about! :) Love that tunic top, so pretty!

15. amy says:

I must agree with Melrose that your coworkers didn't get enough hugs this morning.
    Ignore them, and carry on wearing the fabulous floral dress/opaque tights combo. I also adore the black wool coat.
    Pretty, as always, dahling!

16. Kelly says:

Ahh backhanded compliments are the worst. My coworkers do it as well. I never have such a good response as you though!

17. Anonymous says:

Ah, you've made my day! Seriously! I am wearing the EXACT same tights today for the first time to my conservative office…at 11 am I'm starting to feel like it was a mistake and went online for some fashion reassurance…LOVE you!

18. Nikki says:

I love the way you handled that. They are awesome, don't you let them tell you otherwise.

P.S. I linked to you on Friday without your permission because I like bangs. Wow that sounds creepy 😉

19. seriously? I've never liked colored tights

…until I saw this outfit.

You are so gorgeous!

20. Sal says:

What have people got against bright colors? I think you're awesome for wearing yellow tights in the dead of winter!

02.02.10 · Reply
  21. " If they committed to the insult, then they needed to follow through."

This made me laugh out loud, honest. I love it. And I love the tights on you.

22. k says:

i think your tights are a great bit of sunshine for a winter day! and i'm glad you make people work for if they are gonna insult – my sister is the worst at giving those backhanded "compliments" but i just try to ignore her.

02.02.10 · Reply
  23. Love these pictures! They're fantastic.

02.02.10 · Reply
  24. I love that you make your "haters" work for their insults! I love to make Haters uncomfortable…it's my personal joy!

02.03.10 · Reply
  25. You go girl! haha the tights are amazing!

02.03.10 · Reply
  26. Ha! I love the tights! I work at a school and whenever I wear yellow tights, the kids comment about how I look like one of the Simpsons! I think they look lovely with that dress!

02.03.10 · Reply
  27. Anonymous says:

cute! i love the booties!

just goes to show how much they know about FASHION! i have those tights from gap and i've been trying to find the right dress for them…not too bright, not too plain. maybe something blue like yours?

02.03.10 · Reply
  28. Qell I love them and I love how they stated their thoughts. I wore orange tights yesterday and everyone told me that they matched my hair… I wasn't sure if that was a compliment or not as well.

02.03.10 · Reply
  29. Read this yesterday, then had a very similar day to you today. Is it something about coloured tights? My comments ranged from "You look like a flower fairy" and "You're very purple" to "You look like a Christmas tree" and "Did you wear that to work?!"

I suppose at least it gives people something to talk about and cheers them up when it's dreary. Too much darkness without having it in my wardrobe too.

02.03.10 · Reply
  30. Isa says:

dear kendi – without commenting on your tights ;), let me just say that this outfit post absolutely inspired (and encouraged me) to wear grey tights paired with neon-orange boot-socks for work today! thank you! greetings from munich 😉

02.05.10 · Reply
  31. Don't let the haters get you down. People are boring and don't have style and are confused when someone else does. You look so put-together and pretty in this outfit. The tights are a nice touch, and I love it with the coat.

02.07.10 · Reply
  32. i had to laugh when i read this because it reminds me of my office working days when i lived in iowa. the comments i would get were hilarious.

it just makes you wanna comment on their frumpy outfit, if you were the mean type.

p.s. i just found your blog and love it! well done!

05.02.10 · Reply
  33. Jameil says:

LOLOL! You are killing your coworkers ever so softly. You move to the tiniest of towns and do this to them?? SMH. I love it!

09.29.10 · Reply
  34. hah, I just jumped to this link from your recent post, and needed to comment since I've had the same experience with yellow(ish) tights. Mine are actually more golden, but apparently they look like jaundice from afar. I literally had like three co-workers independently tell me the same thing, and since then I decided to revamp the tights (still love the color but figured they could use something extra to help establish they are tights and NOT "sick skin"….womp womp.

Annnyways, here's the link!! http://stylefyles.tumblr.com/post/579085403/blue-and-gold

I can't believe it's been THAT long since I've worn those tights.

09.29.10 · Reply
  35. Elena says:

LOL I found your blog today after one of my co-workers made a comment about my mustart yellow tights. He said "Elena, are you the good witch or the bad witch".

10.22.10 · Reply
  36. I just found your blog and two things:
    1) I love it! delightful!
    2) oh my land… the tights issue! I have some yellow tights that are super yellow, canary yellow, along with a load of other brightly hued tights. For the most part I just get the "oh you're so brave" comments. But get this I had a coworker tell his class of adult students that anyone who wore ridiculous coloured tights was stupid. Not even that they looked stupid but actually were. As an employment counsellor these students were my clients! So unprofessional and so insulting! I continue to wear my brightest tights and saunter past his office… ahh passive-aggressivity!

11.06.10 · Reply