Stolen Goods

2.22.10
2.22.10
2.22.10
2.22.10
Thank you guys for all of the lovely suggestions on the fake readers!! I’ve narrowed my search down to 4 or 5 pairs :) You are all my new best friends.

So we celebrated Valentine’s a week late since we were on the road for the real date. We’re always late so this was appropriate and about 2 months earlier than last year. B took me to Pei Wei, the Gap and to see Valentine’s Day. He really knows how to sweep a girl off her feet. The movie was cute*. In fact, I really liked it. I didn’t ask my husband’s opinion but he did say it wasn’t as bad as he expected. And that’s good enough for me.
Now onto the outfit. I got this shirt at Anthropologie about 2 years ago. It was a bit snug when I bought it but it was some ridiculous price of $20 so I snatched it right up. Being straight out of college, I wasn’t really a patron of Anthro, so I couldn’t resist. Today was the first time I’d worn it since then. It’s such a pretty shirt but kind of hard to pair it with things. It’s a bit short to wear with pants so I decided on my black pencil skirt. To give me more of a silhouette, I added the belt and viola! Instant Anthropologie. Okay or maybe Semi-pologie. The skirt I’m wearing was also an amazing deal — $10 I think? Maybe $20. I can’t recall it was so cheap.
But the necklace. Well, you see the necklace is a whole other story that I probably shouldn’t tell you. Okay, well since you asked…in college I worked at a local gift shop. I would wear the jewelry during my shift but sometimes I would forget to take it off and end up with it at home. Most of the time I would take it back**. But this little jewel of a necklace ended up with me somehow. I found it two years ago when we moved. So all of that to say I accidentally stole that necklace. But you know what they say? One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. That doesn’t fit with this situation, does it? Let’s just call me a criminal and move on.
*Please note that I have a very high tolerance for cheese-factor movies. If it has hot celebrities, a bad script and love, I’ll see it twice in the theatre and then buy it to watch forever. Add 5+ A-list actors, some milk duds and I’m in bad movie heaven.
**Most of the time.

1. This is a seriously elegant outfit — the silhouette is gorgeous. The story behind the necklace is pretty funny.

– JoAnn, Sidewalk Chalk

02.23.10 · Reply
  2. My boyfriend kindly suggested Valentine's Day for part of our 2/14 festivities (and I was ecstatic). Neither of us loved it, but we agreed it was perfect for the occasion! Definitely had hot celebrities; so many of my favorites in one movie!

Love the necklace, even with its dubious origins 😉 The whole outfit is gorgeous—and what an awesome location!

02.23.10 · Reply
  3. That's funny about the necklace. =) I love the shirt, especially with that belt. You could probably tuck it into something like a skirt, too, if you're into that sort of thing. I can't remember right now, I'm having a bit of blog overload at the moment. I think I need to go watch a cheesy romantic comedy. Cause I love those too.

-Megan

4. amanda says:

super gorgeous! it all works so well together. i love how you make simple pieces look elegant.

5. amy says:

It's not a criminal act, so much as … a fashion bonus?
    Fab, as always!

6. Mallory says:

love love love it!! you style is inspiring!

seekingmystyle.blogspot.com

02.23.10 · Reply
  7. :) The styling is so lovely. And lol @ semi-Anthropologie, but I think you are selling yourself short — that second shot could be straight out of an Anthro catalog! That necklace looks so glowing and pretty on you, and it and the belt are the perfect accessories to that beautiful blouse.

02.23.10 · Reply
  8. LOVE the story behind the necklace. Things like that do happen, can't blame you. I know what it's like to work alone in a tourist gift shop that has no idea of inventory…. except in my case I would take home broken things we would normally just throw away and use them to make art. C'est la vie.

02.23.10 · Reply
  9. Love this outfit! The belt is so adorable! Totally Anthro.

02.23.10 · Reply
  10. Haha, I love how you "ended up" with that necklace. Must have been meant to be, because it's gorgeous and looks lovely with that outfit.

Happy belated Valentine's Day. :)

11. DEA says:

Lovely outfit and really like how you paired everything together. Funny criminal story!!

12. eek says:

Beautiful top! I'm glad I'm not the only person guilty of buying and item of clothing but not wearing it for a long time :)

P.S. That necklace is GORGEOUS and I won't tell 😉

13. Clare says:

Heehee, I love your necklace-stealing story! That's okay, though, it happens to the best of us. And I love love LOVE this outfit! It's definitely VERY Anthropologie.

02.23.10 · Reply
  14. I love cheesey movies too. That second pic of you is gorgeous. Hope you don't mind that I take your pic with me to the hair salon?! The outfit is beautiful and looks great on you.

02.23.10 · Reply
  15. Your hubby is SO talented, ur pics are always SO amazing! I love cheesy movies too :)

16. deniz says:

you are so chic. i want to shoes like yours.

17. Sal says:

Glad that necklace came home with you, even if it was by sneaky means!

02.23.10 · Reply
  18. Whoops! I guess that happened to the best of us working in retail! HAHA I just recently found your blog and have been LOLing at your posts! You're a great writer! Keep being awesome!

Take care,
    Courtney
    dollythedagger.blogspot.com

02.23.10 · Reply
  19. This outfit is great!! I loved how you added the awesome belt. That gives it the perfect extra something! :)

20. myedit says:

Milk duds can make any movie a blockbuster… sooo good.
    When I first saw the pictures, I thought your necklace was very pretty. Now that I find out that it was 'accidentally' stolen, I am disappointed…
    …that you didn't get two, so I could have one.

21. Jessica says:

That top is so pretty. I could see how it would be difficult to pair with things, but I think you wore it perfectly. Love all your accessories here. Especially your semi-stolen necklace, haha.

22. Hillary says:

Your top is so lovely! I also really like the necklace and the story that goes along with it. :)

02.23.10 · Reply
  23. Love this outfit, and love your blog!! :)

Amanda

isanotherstreasure.blogspot.com

02.24.10 · Reply
  24. great outfit! I love that top! These photos are beautiful! Great photography!

02.24.10 · Reply
  25. This is a super similar top to one that Bright Side Dweller just posted about. I love that you both made your tops come alive with the addition of a belt!

02.24.10 · Reply
  26. Melanie says:

I love the top and with the belt….so elegant! I love that the belt is teal!!

02.24.10 · Reply
  27. I love the outfit, but I don't think I like it with those shoes.

This is going to sound silly and maybe a little selfish…
    I find that the first photo you post with the drawn-on details of where you got the pieces is often the best of your outfit photos. While I like the store references, perhaps you could also post just the plain photo? I like to collect and reference outfit photos for inspiration (always with credit), and the words just marr up a pretty photo sometimes.

02.24.10 · Reply
  28. Hahahaha!! Oh my godddd, I seriously LOVE you!! Your * comment is killing me. I'm totally the same exact person. I own so many of the dumbest chick flicks in the world and I've seen them millions of times!

02.25.10 · Reply
  29. Mei says:

I think if you tuck in your blouse, it would be nicer….=)

05.16.10 · Reply